05 115 Yamaha Tilt Trim malfunction

dougalass

Recruit
My stbd engine us stuck in the up position. I hear the relay click and I have checked the voltage and I am getting 12 on each terminal when I press the switch. I noticed I can hear the tilt motor sometimes when I press the switch. I think my motor is done. Any suggestions or insight thanks!

douglloyd

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 05 115 Yamaha Tilt Trim malfunction

no way the motor its brand new, must be a switch or a relay do a search and you will find the answer.

andrewmac

Cadet

Dougalass,

A good simple way of isolating the problem is to remove the blue (up) and green (down) wiring connections from the trim motor where they connect on the relay. Use a couple of jumper wires to manually connect the leads to the battery. When blue is connected to positive, and green is connected to negative the motor should trim up. Reverse these connections and the motor should go down. If nothing happens then the motor is bad.

If you find that the motor is good, then the most likely culprit is either the relay or the switch. Use a test light to check that your getting power and ground at the right places. When you trim up the blue wire should have 12V, the green wire should have connection to ground. When you trim down the reverse happens, green is 12V, blue is ground.

You can confirm the problem by using the part from your port engine. If the problem follows then you found the issue. If it didn't follow then you need to look a little further.

dougalass

Recruit

I'm getting 12 v when I test the terminals on the relay. I also hear the relay click each time I press the trim switch on the engine. I also checked the fuses by removing them and the click on the relay would stop. Is there anything else between the relay and the motor. I guess I could cut the wires just before it enters the engine. Also if I do end up replacing the motor do I have to drain the fluid or can I just take out the four screws and swap out the motor?

Thanks

andrewmac

Cadet

You don't have to cut the wires. Just take off the 10mm nuts that hold them on the relay and they should pull out through a rubber grommet. Make sure you have a good solid ground too. Having 12v at the relay is only 1/2 of the circuit, you need a ground to complete it all.

When you pull out the trim motor wires you can connect them directly to a battery to test. You might need someone to hold up the battery while you test because the leads aren't super long. If the motor doesn't work like that then you found your problem. When you remove the trim motor make sure that the engine is trimmed all the way up and resting on the trim motor lock for safety. The last thing you need is to have the whole engine fall down on you. You don't need to drain the fluid, but you will probably lose a little when you take the motor off. Have some extra fluid at hand when you reassemble it all to top off the reservoir.