Solvent To Clean Fuel Filter

kinggabbo

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a Clymer Yamaha manual and it says to use a mild solvent to clean the fuel filter element and canister. Can anybody tell me what solvent they use? I just don't want to clean it with something that would cause any further problems. Thanks.

gss036

Commander
Re: Solvent To Clean Fuel Filter

What type of filter are you referring to. Normal action is to buy a new filter and replace it.

robert graham

Admiral

If you're talking about that little white plastic filter/screen on the motor, just spray it off with some carb cleaner, blow it with the air hose and re-install. there really shouldn't be a whole lot of anything in that filter. on my fuel/water seperator canister, I just unscrew it, dump it out and re-install it, then put on a new one about once a year. good idea to drain carbs a couple of times a year just to be sure everything is very clean. Good Luck!

kinggabbo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

What type of filter are you referring to. Normal action is to buy a new filter and replace it.

It's just a canister type fuel filter for a 2000 50HP motor. It is not the water separating type.

robert graham

Admiral

you could use most anything, hot soapy water would do, dry it out, put back in. it's just plastic screen, so it won't stop water, so that's why I would install a fuel/water seperator(Walmart $27) on your transom and it will eliminate most fuel contaminates. Be sure and use the Stabil Marine in your gas(Walmart $20/quart) to keep gas fresh. These will save you a lot of fuel related problems. Good Luck!

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

It's my understanding that you shouldn't dump out and reuse fuel/water seperators b/c they are not designed to dump out like seperate units; you end up mixing the good gas with the filtered out goo and water?

robert graham

Admiral

I've heard that story also, probably from the guy who sells the canisters at $7 I just dump it out on a clean rag to see what's in it and put it back on. also probably a good idea to continue checking and cleaning the filter on the motor just to be sure no junk sneaked past the fuel/water canister. whatever it takes to keep the fuel fresh and clean. my motor is a 1999 and the carbs have never been touched, except for the draining of the float bowls and routine maintenance. I have several friends and relatives with Yamaha motors who just refuse to do the fuel system preventive maintenance and they always end up paying for it in repairs at the boat dealer. not only that, but we run 100+miles down the river and can't afford to get stuck out somewhere, especially with the wife along. Good Luck!

kinggabbo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I was not reusing a water separating fuel filter, but the regular fuel filter inside the cowl. I have just purchased a water separating fuel filter and will install it. I am in the process of cleaning the fuel tank and then the carbs.

I have cleaned and soaked the fuel filter in carb cleaner. It wasn't too dirty but I wanted to make sure it was clean anyway. Thanks for all the help.