Suzuki DT140 Starting Problems

murrayc26

Recruit
My late '80's Suzuki DT140 outboard runs out of the water with the muffs on great, as soon as I try it in the water.......nothing...the odd occassion it tries to run then just snuffs out.

I have had the fuel system apart, cleaned the carbs and pump, checked all lines, all looks ok. Checked all the electric system, no probs. Checked the exhaust outlet, plate and outlets look ok. Cooling system is pumping great......

I am now running out of ideas...

Xbrew

Recruit
Re: Suzuki DT140 Starting Problems

I had a similar prob with my 82 dt140. I raised the trim so that is was just under the water and fired right up. Once warm ran no problem. Would not excel past 4000 rpm thou. However, during further trouble shooting I realized that the # 1 cylinder was not firing. My CDI unit was to blame. The wire for # 1 cylinder had turn to dust in the cdi. I did repair it but its not easy.

murrayc26

Recruit
Re: Suzuki DT140 Starting Problems

Thanks for that, I am slowly working my way though every system again. The only problem is it is very hard to get parts for the old outboard!

I found a crack in the exhaust ports, dont think its entirely to blame but it cant be helping. I have carried out a liquid metal repair and it looks as if its holding well. I had the cylinder cooling covers off today, thermostat was clogged up aswell! The list is endless!

I'll have a good look at the CDI unit, thanks for the heads up.