Yamaha Pro 50 parts or part it out

alan87i

Cadet
I picked up this Pro 50 about 4 years ago for a boat project that never got off the ground. I friend tried it out on his boat 2 years ago and was thinking of buying it from me when the works ,, trailer and all was stolen!

The police called me this spring with good news , they had found it. To my dismay the 3 carburetors are missing with the linkage and some screws laying in side.

Is it worth my effort to find a used set of carbs and what hardware that might be missing and get it going again or is there enough of these out there that warrant parting it out putting the cash towards a newer motor.
Thanks for any comments or suggestions.

Allan

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Re: Yamaha Pro 50 parts or part it out

What year is it?
40/50 parts go pretty fast if they are in good shape.

alan87i

Cadet

I looked it over today and it looks like the tag was pulled off by the thieves The only numbers I could find are stamped into the casting where it mounts to the boat. 8j0091 was one of them.
Allan

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

You can look for one that is being parted out, but you may not know what shape the rest of the motor is in and you do not know what model it is so finding the right parts may be a hit or miss. You may have a hard time selling parts without the modle and year.
Did your friend or his insurence pay you for the motor or did you just eat the loss?
How did they trace it back to you if there is no tag?

alan87i

Cadet

They traced from pictures of the boat and we knew the model number and make of the motor , Pro 50 Yamaha and it all matched up when the police found a hidden stash during a bust. The whole motor except the sticker on the cover is sprayed black. It was still on the trailor and that had a trace able number.
Yes the insurance coughed up a bit better than 1/2 the purchase price so that helped , I ate the rest. Paid just under 3 large cash sale for the motor 4 years ago. I even drove the boat it was at the time mounted on. And the insurance didn't care that I got it back because it was non functional.

But as you mentioned it is going to be hard to do anything with if I can't figure out what year it is.
I'll snap some pictures and post them around the net maybe I'll get lucky .
Thanks
Allan

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

The CDI box pointer is not in the same direction as my 99 C40 so I do not know if it is before or after that year. you may look up some different year model manuals and see if you can match some of the parts up to see year and model

alan87i

Cadet

I dug few a few sites parts listings for the pro50 and came up empty. Then I remembered this is a Canadian model. So I'm sure there's not a list on the net for Canadian models.

longshot 1

Cadet

Alan,
I was going through the forum and found your ad. I think your outboard is a 1991 as it is the same as mine model#P50TRLP. I had 3 carbs that I sold yesterday, but I can get three more with every thing for you if you want. Go to google and put in the year and model # P50TRLP and it will bring up a parts list.

Richard
Sweet Home Oregon