Yamaha Excel 1989 Does Not Always Start

eddy3012

Recruit
I have a 1989 YAMAHA EXCEL and does not always want to start it starts when ever it wants to i already redid teh carbs. put new plugs and i still have the same problem can anyone help me out here??? THANKS

Authorbp

Recruit
Re: Yamaha Excel 1989 Does Not Always Start

I have 1989 excel and found out that 225 89 model exel has manual choke. so the correct starting procedure is advance the throttle, your target range is 1500-2000 RPM at start up, prime the system ,turn the key on, activate the choke and turn the key to start while holding the choke activated. if its hard to start that ay its time to look at why. could be a bad fuel pump diaphram creating an over rich condition, could be varnish in the carbs, could be bad check valves in the oil pump causing oil to leak into the intake. could be bad recirc check valves in the block. but most the time its the starting procedure used, if its cold a two stroke must be choked or they dont start well at all. if any cable connections are going bad you will find the starter will draw enough current the choke solinoid wont keep the shutters closed. a quick test is to try to start it with the manual choke. if it starts ok with the manual choke start hunting electrical problems in the choke solinoid circuits and make sure the physical location of the solinoid allows the shutters to be fully closed.
hope this help

iammarcuse

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Yamaha Excel 1989 Does Not Always Start

Yamahas always start better when cold with the manual choke. The key start electric choke does not hold it closed well enough. In the morning we only use the manual choke. We have 3 of them and they are all the same.