Steering frozen - '87 Yamaha 40 hp

geronimo2121

Cadet
Steering frozen on '87 40hp...rec'd back from co-owner in this condition...

I've read many posts on freeing steering up. Tried banging with rubber mallet...no luck.

Was going to give up, but decided to take steel hammer to it. That got it moving. Unscrewed steering tube nut on starboard side and can slide cable out, but it stops right at the nut (won't come all the way out). Wondering why it won't slide all the way out.

Port side still very hard to move in. Haven't been able to move it back out (pictured attached). Easy to bang in w/ hammer, but how do you get it back the other way? Been spraying everything w/ WD40.

Wondering what the next step is. Keep banging it all the way through steering tube w/ metal rod then clean out / wire brush?

Any suggestions at this point appreciated.

Attachments

• Yamaha steering cable port side web.jpg
    Yamaha steering cable port side web.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Yamaha steering cable starboard side web.jpg
    Yamaha steering cable starboard side web.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 0

Kleverrr1

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Steering frozen - '87 Yamaha 40 hp

I get this every year and this is what I do. I put some vise grips on the edge of the rod with all the nut tight and wiggle it out a little at a time as I spray WD-40 or PB Blaster on the rod to loosen the rust off. Once it come all they way out I push it in and out untill it moves easy then bolt back on to the engine.

Hope this helps

Throbbin Rods

Petty Officer 1st Class

One thing I have used to save stuck steering cables is to disconnect one end of the cable and do the following;

Get a 3-4 ft length of 3/4" heater hose, 4 hose clamps and a valve stem. Clamp the heater hose to the jacket of the cable just below the metal crimp sleeve with two hose clamps, real tight. Make sure that the section where the cable comes in and out of the jacket is inside the hose. Pour some marvey mystery oil in the hose as you hold it upright. Clamp the valve stem in the heater hosetight with two hose clamps, 1 right on the fat part of the valve stem and one just above it. Pressurize the hose through the valve stem until the hose is rock hard, and leave it for a day or two. Most of the time, there will be oil weeping out the other end the next day and the cable will move freely. I am about 90 % using this method.
Good luck
Throbbin Rods

geronimo2121

Cadet

Thanks for the replies...went and got a pair of vice grips...was thinking the same thing about pulling the steering arm out of the steer tube...problem was it was so stuck all I could do was bang it into the steer tube...

Now it's flush with the steer tube...tried to take a 3/8" steel rod to bang it all the way through, but it kept slipping off the end of the steering arm and into the engine bracket. Going to go back and maybe tape it with some duct tape to keep it from slipping off and scratching the engine bracket. Any other suggestions to keep it from slipping?

TR, interesting method you've got there...never heard of that one before, but I can see how it might work. I'll have to re-read your post to make sure I understand the procedure.

Thanks again for the replies.

Kleverrr1

Seaman Apprentice

I bang it untill it was flush this year too, here is what I did. I put a old bolt on the rod and used a crow bar between the old bolt and the engine brace. It came out enough to put the vise grips on and wiggle it out with some wd-40 or other lube. Place a towel or piece of wood to avoid scratching the engine brace.

geronimo2121

Cadet

Thanks for the advice. I'll try your method. Thanks again.

geronimo2121

Cadet

UPDATE: I took a steel rod (approx. 8 mm dia.) purchased from Home Depot and banged the steering arm and cable through the steering tube. Had to really bang the sh*t out of it to get it out...it only moved millimeters on every wack. Finally got it out and it looked real rusted in there. I'm going to purchase a flex hone tool from a company in downtown L.A. (Brush Research Manufacturing)

www.brushresearch.com/brushes.php?c1=1

It looks like they have every brush you'd ever need. Mike (one of the techs there) recommended the BC Flex-hone in 240 grit silicon carbide.

I measured the inner diameter of the steer tube @ 16mm...So, it looks like I am going with the 5/8" brush. They carry a flex hone oil to use with the tool, but Grant (another tech there) said I can use any "non-solvent" lightweight oil. Afterwards, they recommended washing the tube out with a nylon brush and soap and water. Can't wait to get this part of the repairs put to bed. Thanks to all for the advice.

BTW, Harbor Freight carries a gun cleaning kit, but thought I'd get the right tool for the job...the HF kit doesn't seem like it would do as good a job.

BOAT DOCTOR

Petty Officer 2nd Class

get a rod or something long enough to come out the other side cut a slot at one end to fit some sandpaper in put it in a drill and reem it out

speedcat2000

Seaman Apprentice

I used a rotohammer, lots of PB Blaster and various long pieces of metal in different lengths (rotohammer would not fit into transom with super long pieces, had to use shorter ones to start with). Used an 8" long 3/8" socket wrench extender piece first. That got the steering rod part way in. Then I used a very long drill bit, and in order to get the rotohammer to not slide off the end, I put a deep dish socket on the end, and just drilled into the deep dish socket. The very frozen steering bar was out in minutes. This is after hammering for hours with a sledge hammer to no avail. :)

Now I need to clean that bastard up real good and apply lots of marine grade white lithium grease. Every year from here on out.

Cheers