Yamaha Throttle Remote Control

242AbacoGV

Cadet
My question is the following; I have removed the four screws for the throttle control cover to tighten up the throttle as it was falling back on its own in a chop. Can anyone advise me as to what the 2 screws are for with the locking bolts on them on top of the controller. At first I tried to adjust them to tighten the throttle which did not work, only to find the adjustment screw at the bottom of the assembly gave that a 1/2 turn and worked. I tried to eyeball back the 2 screws with the locking bolts best I could back to the original position and re-tightened the locking nuts. One thought I had was these are the adjustment screws on how much pressure is required to place the engine in forward or reverse... Many thanks.. :eek:

242AbacoGV

Cadet
Re: Yamaha Throttle Remote Control

Ok, after a sea test, here was the deal, when you pop off the throttle cover there are basically 3 adjustment screws, the 2 to the front and rear of the throttle lever adjust how much pressure you need to place for the throttle to go into forward or reverse. The one I was looking for is at the front / base of the controller 1/2 turn clockwise eliminated my loose throttle problems.. Hope this helps someone.. thanks

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

the 2 studs with lock nuts you messed with are actually throttle stops.
one prevents excessive RPM in Reverse and the other prevents tearing something up due to excessive cable travel at WOT.

242AbacoGV

Cadet

The 2 studs with lock nuts I tried to adjust, is there something I need to do get them back to the original position? Is there a process to get these back to where they should be? Thanks.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

yes, with the cable link dissconnected at the throttle arm move the control to WOT, then move the engine throttle arm to WOT, the link should slip back on. for the reverse just make sure the engine cant rev about 2500 RPM with the boat in the water going backwards or the reverse prop thrust may overcome the shock piston valve and allow the lower unit to climb out of the water when backing down hard.