Suzuki 2.2 Hp Outboard Questions

N1NE1

Petty Officer 1st Class
HELLO, I JUST BOUGHT A SUZUKI 2.2HP (87')OUTBOARD OFF CRAIGSLIST FOR$30 AND ITS IN GREAT SHAPE RUNS GREAT AND HAVE A FEW QUESTIONS ABOUT IT, DO THESE ENGINES ALWAYS STAY IN GEAR? WHAT IS THE S / O SWITCH-KNOB CONNECTED TO THE GAS LINE FOR AND AIR THEY JUST AIRCOOLED? IF YOU CAN HELP THAT WOULD BE GREAT, I WOULD JUST LIKE TO KNOW A LITTLE BIT ABOUT THIS THING BEFORE I USE IT,THERE IS NO KIND OF SHIFT LEVER ,PROP CONSTANTLY SPINS:confused:

CATransplant

Admiral
Re: Suzuki 2.2 Hp Outboard Questions

There is a Suzuki section here on iboats. That's where the folks who know Suzukis hang out. Ask your questions in there.

wbeaton

Commander

I have a 1992 Suzuki 2 hp. Its a great little motor.

The S/O knob you mention is your fuel shut off switch. The engine is water cooled. The impeller is located behind the prop. Its a "dock buster" as it has no gearshift. Reverse is achieved by spinning the motor around. Unfortunately, there is no neutral.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

You hardly need a neutral you could run it wide open and hold it at the dock with one hand.At idle I would think it would hardly move.Just takes a little different driving style.

ben28881

Recruit

I also just got a 2.2 suzuki, came with a cottage. Love it, but wondering what the oil/fuel mixture is, anyone know?

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

The DT2 87 and later motors are rated at 100:1 Using TCW3 rated oil.
I would use 50:1 especially if it will sit idle for long periods.