97 Yamaha Saltwater Series II 150 hp question.

Proline_19

Cadet
I have recently purchased the subject outboard for my center console. To date I completed the following:
1. installed the outboard on the boat.
2. installed all of the electrical cables for the outboard including the
harness for the oil tank as well as the multi function gauge/tach.
3. installed the yamaha keyswitch.
Note: I have not installed the binnacle (throttle) remote and connected the harness to this piece of equipment.

Once I installed the electrical cables, I decided to see if the engine would start. Therefore, I connected the battery cables to a fresh battery and tried to start the engine. The starter will not engage at all. The choke will make an operation, and I can operate the tilt/trim at the engine. My question is this: Since I have not installed the binnacle remote (throttle control) on the console and connected the harness, could this be the reason that the engine will not attempt to start? I'm just wondering if such a break in the circuit would keep the starter from engaging. Also, I have checked to make sure the engine is in neutral. I plan to install the binnacle this weekend, but I'm just wondering if anybody has encountered such a situation? I could be a blown fuse or such. Anyway, any info would help. Thanks a lot.

getusummm

Seaman
Re: 97 Yamaha Saltwater Series II 150 hp question.

The binnacle contains a neutral safety switch. You need to connect the harness in order for everything to function properly.