Suzuki DT9.9 HELP! Can't remove lower unit

dapeake

Recruit
I have a DT9.9 two stroke Suzuki. The impeller has stopped working, so I am now trying to replace it by first separating the bottom section to access the impeller area. I have removed the four bolts, but it will not come apart. I even made three little wedges out of tool steel on my mill, to try to pry the two castings apart! They will only separate about .040". It simply will not come apart! I am thinking the motor drive shaft spline is stuck to the lower end input shaft (as in, rusted together from years of sitting in salt water.)

I have never had this apart, have not seen a drawing and do not know what is involved (I am concerned about my little wedges damaging something.) Any advice, or a drawing would be greatl appreciated.

EDIT: 1. Copying copyrighted material is illegal. Get a manual.
2. Including personal info, like Email addy, is not allowed.
3. Discussions about Suzuki engines belong in the Suzuki Forum.

Thanks,

Dan
Campbell, CA

Last edited by a moderator:

CATransplant

Admiral
Re: Suzuki DT9.9 HELP! Can't remove lower unit

There is a Yamaha/Suzuki section on this forum. You're more likely to find help there.

Whoopbass

Chief Petty Officer

A guy on here had the same problem as you and he bought some longer LU bolts so that when he installed them there would be 1/2" gap or so and then ran the motor. Claimed it popped free.
This was in the JohnnyRude section. If you do a search in that section you will get a lot more ideas then you will here.

jasonamye

Recruit

Here are some general rules when removing the lower unit- sounds to me like there is a bolt still in place. If you managed to get a wedge into the gap and it did not break loose something is still attached.
Step 1Remove the bolts on your lower unit (just below the anti-cavitation plate) using a 12 to 14 millimeter wrench. The make of your outboard motor will determine which size wrench you need to use. All the bolts should be the same size.

Step 2Take the trim tab (anode) off the bottom of the anti-cavitation plate. You will find the tab right above the propeller. The tab's position on most outboards will be bolted through the bottom of the trim tab. Keep the tab and the bolt separated after you remove them.

Step 3 Remove the last bolt from the lower unit. This will actually detach the lower unit from the motor. Handle this step cautiously to avoid having your lower unit slide out uncontrollably. The lower unit should be entirely free from the motor after you perform this step.

grazm

Recruit

I have a DT9.9 two stroke Suzuki. The impeller has stopped working, so I am now trying to replace it by first separating the bottom section to access the impeller area. I have removed the four bolts, but it will not come apart. I even made three little wedges out of tool steel on my mill, to try to pry the two castings apart! They will only separate about .040". It simply will not come apart! I am thinking the motor drive shaft spline is stuck to the lower end input shaft (as in, rusted together from years of sitting in salt water.)

I have never had this apart, have not seen a drawing and do not know what is involved (I am concerned about my little wedges damaging something.) Any advice, or a drawing would be greatl appreciated.

CA

You need to undo the clutch rod turnbuckle. The turnbuckle is located at the front of the leg, just above the point of attachment of the lower unit.(Its hard to miss) Loosen the top lock-nut and then undo the turnbuckle. The turnbuckle has a right-hand thread (at the top) and left hand thread (at the bottom) and connects the clutch rod to the gear shift rod. Once you loosen the lock-nut you can then turn the turnbuckle to disconnect the clutch rod from the gear shift rod.
So long as you have removed the lower unit retaining studs/bolts (4) the lower unit should now easily pull down.
Good Luck