yamaha 150 blown head gasket??

alaskamarine

Cadet
Was out in the bay last night for a quick night of fishing when cruising, 54mph @ 4700, the oil pressure alarm sounded and I shutdown the engine. Switched to the kicker and started to make my way back. About halfway swells were starting to be a concern with the kicker not having enough power to power through them, so I had to switch back to the 150, started up fine and made it back to shore, about 10 miles. Checked the oil this morning and it was full to the top of the dip stick, as well as milky. Tried starting it and it did not want to start. What could be the cause of this? It is a '05 150 four stroke.

alaskamarine

Cadet
Re: yamaha 150 blown head gasket??

Did not hold pressure in the leakdown test, compression was low in two of the four cylinders. At minimum I am guessing I will be having the mechanic replace all four pistons and engine gaskets, as well as have them send out the cylinder block for replating...if possible, and rebuilding the crank with new bearings. Any estimates for the parts + labor? First time having the engine in for repair. I have to pay $1,000 in shipping charges to get it flown to the dealer 550 miles to the south, on top of whatever it will cost to get it repaired.

mdunn

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ouch! That's gotta sting.
Where's Kiana, AK? Sotheast?
You sending it to Seattle?
Good luck man.

alaskamarine

Cadet

Sending it to Anchorage, I am about 60 miles above the arctic circle on the arctic ocean.