Suzuki 4 Stroke Milky Oil?

Turbosnail

Cadet
Looks Like Water In My Oil, It Was Milky Brown Not Sure What It Was. Please Don't Tell Me It's That Bad? 2004 115hp Suzuki 4 Stroke.

andymach23

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Suzuki 4 Stroke Milky Oil?

Hi

You're engine could be 'making oil'. It's common on 4-strokes. There's a post in the FAQ section on this.

If you smell the oil do you get a gasoline smell off it? My Yam F80 4-stroke smells of gasoline, so I'm pretty sure it's not water.

You could get your oil analysed to confirm.

Cheers

Andy

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Milky oil is indicative of water intrusion -- not the making oil issue (gasoline contamination) from prolonged idle and not enough high speed operation to bring engine temps up. Water intrusion is especially bad since it can take out main and rod bearings quickly. Water is not a good lubricant. Was then engine overheated at any time? Any problems in the past? Overheating can crack a head or block or pop a head gasket. You need to find the cause and do not run this engine until you've determined why the milky oil.

Mas

Lieutenant Commander

Are you talking about the sump or the lower unit?

MAS

andymach23

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Milky oil is indicative of water intrusion -- not the making oil issue (gasoline contamination) from prolonged idle and not enough high speed operation to bring engine temps up. Water intrusion is especially bad since it can take out main and rod bearings quickly. Water is not a good lubricant. Was then engine overheated at any time? Any problems in the past? Overheating can crack a head or block or pop a head gasket. You need to find the cause and do not run this engine until you've determined why the milky oil.

What color does the oil go when it is contaminated with gasoline?

Cheers, Andy

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

It gets a little blacker and smells like gasoline. But please tell us whether you are talking about the lower unit lub or engine oil.

Turbosnail

Cadet

It's the engine oil. I changed the oil but if you recomend not to run it I won't. I guess I'll have to take it to a Suzuki dealer? I might as well I'll need my boat to go out to the coast once rockcod season starts.

andymach23

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I just re-read the Making Oil FAQ thread ...

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=158085

This thread seems to indicate that water is the main source of making oil for the various reasons outlined. Gasoilne intrusion is mentioned but seems like a lesser issue in this thread.

What do you think about the points in this thread? Just trying to get my head round all of this!

Cheers, Andy

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

If the oil has a gasoline smell, then it is making oil due to fuel contamination. If it doesn't smell like oil it is water instrusion. Either way, change the oil and filter. Keep an eye on oil condition and level. If you spend long periods at idle or very slow speeds you need to change the way the engine is operated. In other words run it wide open periodically.