95 Yamaha Tilt Stop Lever Repair

Status
Not open for further replies.

bankerjohn

Chief Petty Officer
The tilt stop lever on my 115TXRT has become almost impossible to move without a pair of visegrips! I'm assuming that some of the bushings or collars that the shafts go through from each side are worn out and in need of replacement.

Yamaha115XTRTBracket1.jpg

Is it possible to disassemble this part to replace the bushings without tearing the majority of the motor bracket apart?

bankerjohn

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 95 Yamaha Tilt Stop Lever Repair

I raised the motor up, and took a look at the lever mechanism ... here's a picture:

Yamaha115XTRTBracket2-1.jpg

I'm assuming that I have to remove the roll pins (#39) in order to allow the lever shaft on the starboard side to be pulled out. Looks like the one on the right side has partly worked it's way out, so I may be able to pull that one out with some pliers. However, the one on the left side is not sticking out enough to grab hold of ... so, can I drive that one through the back side with a drift?

Since I don't have a lever to examine, do the roller pins go through a hole in the shaft, or do they only apply friction pressure to the outside of the shaft?

Assuming I can remove both roller pins, how is the shaft on the right side connected to the shaft on the left side?

Sorry to be so dense ... can anyone offer some advice?

bankerjohn

Chief Petty Officer

I decided to just dive in to this "project" .... and here's what I discovered:

I'm assuming that I have to remove the roll pins (#39) in order to allow the lever shaft on the starboard side to be pulled out.
Since I don't have a lever to examine, do the roller pins go through a hole in the shaft, or do they only apply friction pressure to the outside of the shaft?

There is a hole in the end of both shafts, that the roll pins go through!

Assuming I can remove both roller pins, how is the shaft on the right side connected to the shaft on the left side?

The last 1/4" of the ends of both shafts are cut down to a rectangular piece ... which fits the slot molded into the "Distance Collars" (#36) ... which are "tied" together with the knurled "Special Shape Pin" (#37).

Here's a photo of the disassembled parts:

Yamaha115XTRTBracket3.jpg

As you can see, two of the four nylon bushings had disintegrated! Maybe someone else will benefit from my repair!

polarkraft72

Recruit
can any one direct me i have pulled the old.very tight area how do you put it back together in the bracket

whaler.1

Cadet

I decided to just dive in to this "project" .... and here's what I discovered:

There is a hole in the end of both shafts, that the roll pins go through!

The last 1/4" of the ends of both shafts are cut down to a rectangular piece ... which fits the slot molded into the "Distance Collars" (#36) ... which are "tied" together with the knurled "Special Shape Pin" (#37).

Here's a photo of the disassembled parts:

Yamaha115XTRTBracket3.jpg

As you can see, two of the four nylon bushings had disintegrated! Maybe someone else will benefit from my repair!

whaler.1

Cadet
So this is a very old post but find myself Having to replace my Yamaha Tilt Stop Lever on my 1994 C85TLRS, Do you have any tricks to getting it apart then back together again?

Status
Not open for further replies.