1991 Suzuki DT115 crack in lower unit

Rielcrazy

Cadet
I just got a 1991 Suzuki DT115 and 91 sportcraft at a great price recently, now I know why!!! took it out, ran great. Was just looking at the lower unit today and and noticed two small cracks (1 inch and 1.5 inch maybee) right behind the prop. No oil has leaked out of them, and based on the existing corrosion looks like they've been there a while. The cracked area is slightly separated, Is this the exaust portion and not a big deal? I was getting ready to sand the whole lower unit and zinc chromate then paint it but not wondering if i need a new lower unit? I want to put pictures in here but I can't... won't let me add any...
Can someone tell me how to post a picture?

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1991 Suzuki DT115 crack in lower unit

that crack is normal salt water corrosion.
it happens.
drill a 1/8" hole at the end of the cracks and have it welded.
then go play knowing one day the case will fail.
may be tomorrow, may be 10 years.
you wont strike oil for another 3 inches or so.

Rielcrazy

Cadet

P.S. I don't think the cracks extend beyond the prop shaft housing o-ring in the back.

Rielcrazy

Cadet

LOL that was quick, thanks, didn't see Your reply before I reposted. So, if and WHEN it does fail, is it going to toast my engine or just break some gears and I buy a rebuilt lower?

Rielcrazy

Cadet

Found out how to post pics, this is what i'm talking about specifically. Still just weld you think? Do you think Marine Tex would work for this? If water gets into those cracks, couldn't it corrode the prop shaft bearing housing? Or does that get wet anyway and I need to worry more about the structural integrity of the lower unit? Thanks!

Attachments

• DSC_0016 smaller.jpg
    DSC_0016 smaller.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 2
  • DSC_0018 smaller.jpg
    DSC_0018 smaller.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 2

Marion Moore

Petty Officer 1st Class

Follow Rodbolts advice and you will be fine.

If you are really gung-ho you can remove the prop shaft housing (boy that's a fun job), clean all of the corrosion as best you can, paint it, and slather the shaft housing to lower unit housing interface with anti-seize (never use the copper one). That should give you 10+ years easy.

Rielcrazy

Cadet

Went and got it welded and painted, worked out great, thanks!

MAKO504

Recruit

I dont know where you live but i have 2-1991 suzuki dt 115 motors for parts. Everything, contorls, props, everything.