Yamaha Digital Tach Illumination Possible?

Woodnaut

Chief Petty Officer
I have a 2006 Yamaha F90 with Yamaha controls, ignition switch and digital tachometer. Everything works great on the tach - trim indication, hours, RPM, etc. The cable between the engine and the tach is installed, as well as the connection to the controls. My question is whether or not this gauge can be illuminated for night time operations. My fuel tank guages are illuminated and I would be surprised if Yamaha didn't provide this option. I am assuming that I just do not have a required wire connected.

Please see attached photos for model identification. As far as I can tell the Yamaha part number is 6Y5-2818R-32. The wires that are NOT connected are as follows:

Tach Front V01.jpg

Tach Docs.jpg

Tach Rear V01.jpg

Single wire - Dark BLU (capped)
4 pin connector - wires are PNK, ORG, GRY and BLK with WHT stripe

I could not find a wiring diagram for this tachometer. Would supplying +12 VDC to any of the above wires provide night time illumination for this guage, or is there something else required? Thanks for the help. - Woodnaut

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Yamaha Digital Tach Illumination Possible?

On yamaha guages the dark blue wire is the 12V+ side for lamps.
Hook all the blacks to ground and the dark blue to either your keyswitch yellow wire (actually was provided before) or to your nav light wire.

Looks pretty, but no ABYC or yamaha codes seem to be in effect here.

Last edited by a moderator:

sschefer

Rear Admiral

Dk blu - Gauge Illumination should be switched.

ORG - Secondary fused +12v (normally)

GRY - Tach or Nav Lights. If switched its lights. Probably lights if the tach is already working. Normally there's a diode at the fuse box between the bow and stern lights so you can run anchor lights and interior courtesy lights without doubling up the wiring.

Blk/White - Possibly a floating ground from gas tank or unique to Yamaha
Pink - Fuel Sender

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

on the yamaha side of the wiring, gray is visual for overheat at the tach, orange is a 5 V reference ,dk blue at the tack is illumination.
green is the tach signal,yellow is key on power and black is ground. some fuel meters have a white and a white/blue for fuel sender inputs.
pink is audible alarm.
note' this is only applicable to the YAMAHA wiring not whoever wired the rest.

sschefer

Rear Admiral

on the yamaha side of the wiring, gray is visual for overheat at the tach, orange is a 5 V reference ,dk blue at the tack is illumination.
green is the tach signal,yellow is key on power and black is ground. some fuel meters have a white and a white/blue for fuel sender inputs.
pink is audible alarm.
note' this is only applicable to the YAMAHA wiring not whoever wired the rest.

Thanks for the info. I have to remember that when I wire my boat. I have a F150 on the way. I was going to start now but I think I'll wait. Definitely not the Marine wiring standards that I use for reference.

Woodnaut

Chief Petty Officer

Rodbolt, Sschefer, thanks very much for the reply. I'll make the hookup for the gauge illumination this weekend.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

in the marine tune-up spec guide 1994-2005 LIT-18559-94-00 and the 07( I think) marine tech guide is a YAMAHA wiring color usage diagram.
on the engine side there is really no set standard as of yet for wire colors from ANY manufacturer.
wish there was but there is not.
on the HULL side wiring there are ABYC and USCG standards but even now they get ignored, especially by a lot of the "custom" boat builders.