Micro switch installation on Yamaha 704 binnacle control?

cindalyn

Seaman Apprentice
I just purchased a NEW 704 premium binnacle control that came with instructions but does not indicate how to attach the micro switch that is attached to it's wiring harness.

The switch is roughly 1" x 1/2" and is soldered to 2 brown wires on the
attached harness.

Inside the control there are 2 'bumps' cast in the metal plate and there appear to be 2 'bumps' molded into the plastic 'arms' directly above the 'bumps' on the metal plate. I'm pretty sure these 'bumps' will line up with the thru holes in the corners of the switch and the plastic arms will hold the switch in place with a spring like action.

The problem is, even if the switch mounts in that postion, there is absolutely nothing that will contact the switch 'button' to activate it no matter what postion I put the throttle arm in.

I belive this switch is the NEUTRAL 'lockout' protection?

Does anyone have instructions, a picture, something they can scan and email or anything to help me figure out what this switch is for and how to properly mount it?

Is it possible that a part may be missing that would contact and activate the switch button?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ron

cindalyncindalyn@yahoo.com

Attachments

• 100_2543m micro-Switch.jpg
    100_2543m micro-Switch.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 100_2610m.jpg
    100_2610m.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 100_2611.jpg
    100_2611.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 0

pine island fred

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Micro switch installation on Yamaha 704 binnacle control?

Have a 704 also, only electrics going to it are for the tilt/trim thumb -beep trim switch. Most motors I have fooled with have the neuteral start switch on the motor itself. Will dig out my paperwork and see if I can find something. FRED OK, got my paperwork out. My scematic shows one plug with 6 pins, 5 being used. RED, SKY BLUE, LITE GREEN, and 2 BROWN. Unused pin matches up to BLACK in the mating plug. All one harness going into the controls. My 704 is at least 4 yrs. You have a good picture there but I am very color blind, Wife has to help me there, looks like you have all the wires. Am pretty baffles with that micro switch myself. My paperwork is number 704-28199-PO FRED

cindalyn

Seaman Apprentice

Fred, thanks for the reply. I still haven't got this figured out. Please let me know if you find out anything more.

Ron

cousinabe, I can see where you might think that is the same drawing but I really don't think it is. The micro-switch on my harness doesn't appear to be showing in the drawing you refer to. Also the two switces shown in that drawing shaw a small 'stem' at the top of the switch to activate it when something comes in contact. My switch doesn't have that 'stem' it's just a tiny button.

In addition the price for PN 10 is anbot $50. I know how expensive marine parts can be but I just can't inagine this switch being more than $5 - $10 ant the very most.

Thanks for the info though. This really got me stumped.

Ron

pine island fred

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I am really digging deep on this one. Could it be a circuit breaker and the button is a reset? Reason I am thinking this is that the thumb switch works regardless of ignition switch position. This is only a light current control circuit with the big electricity going thru the relay. Is there a small hole by where the unit mounts in the binical control? One you could push a pen thru to reset the thing. Only thing I can think of. Maby the real YAMAHA guys will come up with something. regards FRED

cindalyn

Seaman Apprentice

With a magnifing glass I can read that the switch was made in Japan by Matsu****a. The switch can be wired for either NO or NC. The wires are soldered in the NO position. There do not appear to be any reset provisions. The switches function appears to be to close the circuit when the tiny button is pushed in.

I do not have control cables yet. I'm beginning to wonder if there is an attachment that may go on the cable to contact the switch button when the lever is in a particular position. I doubt it though because where the switch would be logically mounted it's pretty free of anything apparent coming in contact with the switch button to push it.

cindalyn

Seaman Apprentice

Problem Solved

seahorse, on another site, sent me an enlarged picture of the inside of a control box. It gave me enough confidence to insert the switch where I thought it should go. It easily snapped right into place and there is no other position it would fit without intereference.

Now that it's in place I can see that a metal arm does swing and make contact with the switch button when the control arm is in the neutral position.

Notice that on the drawing, the switch is held in place with 2 screws whereas mine is held in place with a plastic retainer/spring device. This device also hides a little more of what is exposed on the drawing.

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii268/WhalerRon/Yamaha704controlboxwithcablesswitch.jpg

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii268/WhalerRon/100_2613m.jpg

Thanks to all for their comments

Ron

pine island fred

Lieutenant Junior Grade

So the tilt / trim only works when the engine is in neutral ? Sound a bit bazarre ! Think I would consider eliminating it real quick. What am I missing here? Anyone seen RODBOLT? FRED

cindalyn

Seaman Apprentice

The ENGINE is lockedout unless the control lever is in neutral. In other words the engine won't start in gear.

pine island fred

Lieutenant Junior Grade

This is the trim switch. Has nothing to do with starting the motor. I trim my motors all the time when I am underway. Maby there was somekind of lawsuit that made YAMAHA come up with this set up. Am really mistified ! Where are the YAMAHA guys?? FRED

JUSTINTIME

Captain

that is he nss (neutral safety switch)

pine island fred

Lieutenant Junior Grade

YEP, went back to the picture and followed the wires. 2 different systems using the same plug. Get thrown a curve when you cant tell the difference between black, brown, green, red. Ruins your prespective. Amazing that I fixed planes for years and could not tell if an instrument was in the red or green. Was a bit embarising when I would ask the stews or even passengers if an O2, fire or slide bottle was good or not. Wife is always telling me what colors flowers are. Dont have much of a problem with yellow and blue. Oh well, was told one time that dogs are color blind, that made me feel better. FRED