'04 Yamaha 225 4-stroke Fuel/ Oil Leaking From Motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fulmar

Cadet
I run twin '04 Yamaha 225 4s on my Regulator 26. When I lower the motors, a fuel/ oil slick comes off the starboard motor. Both motors are still under warranty, but I don't have time to get the motor into the mechanic until next Wednesday since I'm a charter captain, with trips booked up until then. Troubleshooting and repair advice would be greatly appreciated.

matt2002

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: '04 Yamaha 250 4-stroke Fuel Leaking From Motor

Take the cowling off and look for where its coming from as you lower it.

fulmar

Cadet
Re: '04 Yamaha 225 4-stroke Fuel/ Oil Leaking From Motor

Thanks, Matt. I've done that, but can't find the source of the leaking fuel/oil. I checked the lines running to the filter and the filter itself, all seem snug. After taking to cowling off, the motor doesn't smell of fuel. Could the fuel be coming out of the prop? Or could it be a leaky gasket somewhere like the fuel pump?

I don't have a shop manual for the motor thus it's difficult for me to properly diagnose the problem.

matt2002

Petty Officer 2nd Class

they are through prop exhaust but I doubt that would be causing the slick.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

run it till it absolutly pukes and whine cause its down for 3 weeks.
actually as its an EFI motor and no running complaints I would more suspect you have a trim or a tilt cylinder leaking.
however if oil can leak out water can leak in and may or may not be covered as your running with a known problem
making it back to shore with a gimped moter is one thing, being so irresponsible to take paying passengers out with a gimper is another thing entirely.
there really isnt much the average backyard joe can do with an F250.
its simply fairly complex and not much in the way of user servicable stuff.
if you have a fuel rail pressure tester and the diagnostic test lamp you can look at a few things but not much.

fulmar

Cadet
Re: '04 Yamaha 225 4-stroke Oil/ Fuel Leaking From Motor

Thanks, Rodbolt, I appreciate the help. Do you think a power trim and tilt leak could create a 5' - 10' radius slick around the motor? It only happens when the motors are down. When I tilt them back up, it goes away.

I re-checked the fuel lines inside the cowling. All seem snug and I didn't detect any leaks. Neither motor smells of fuel inside the cowling. I also checked for fuel on the outside of the motor, below the cowling where it could leak down if it was indeed an issue with something near the powerhead. I didn't feel, smell, or see any fuel around that area.

I may be able to get the boat to a Yamaha dealer on Monday, at least for some diagnostic work. Surprising that motors that new could spring a power trim and tilt leak, though I guess they have sat in the salt for awhile. Thanks again.

matt2002

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You could have a lower unit leak.When was the last time you had the prop off and checked for mono wrapped around the prop shaft ?:eek:

fulmar

Cadet

I spoke with a yamaha mechanic this morning, he mentioned the slick could be caused by how the oil filters were changed. Apparently, if the tech doing the filter change doesn't place rags under the filter prior to the change, oil will seep down forming a slick. It builds up over time and takes awhile to go away. To resolve the sick issue, you take the covers off the motor and clean around the inside where the oil seeped down.

The mechanic had heard of this happening before on a 26' Regulator which was serviced at the same place I bought the boat (used). Must be a tech who isn't properly replacing oil filters.

fulmar

Cadet

The slick wasn't caused by a fuel leak after all, nor was it lower unit or power trim/tilt related.

It's a bad crankshaft seal. This is bad news since I will now be without my boat for a long time and I'm in the middle of my busy bluefin season. I have a SeaCraft as a backup, but my clients expect the Regulator.

Any idea how long the repair should take? The Yamaha dealer said it's a huge ordeal which may take weeks. I don't have weeks. At least the motors are under extended warranty.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

on some high hour motors we have seen the driveshaft seals leak oil where the shaft passes through the oil pump.
it can be fixed in a couple hours with a 30 dollar speedi-sleeve on the crankshaft.
yep, sometimes a tech can spill oil, its not like they made it easy for the filter removal.
we made some stuff that works well with the motor tilted up.
the pump seals are about 150 and the pump is about 450.
warrenty may or may not cover it when they ask for the hours then ask if its commercial or not.
best advice is to remove any and all indications of commercial use if they are registered as pleasure.
I already busted one guy for that.
the yamaha RTA asked me point blank on the phone if it was commercial or not, I had no choice but to tell him yep there is a for hire license on the side.

fulmar

Cadet

Thanks, Rodbolt. For future reference sake, I'll keep this thread alive. My motors have just over 600 hours on them, were manufactured 9/03, and have the y.e.s. warranty until 4/09. I don't know their history all that well, as my boat had a previous owner. I do know the only history of warranty repair on the motors was a recall in early '04. I have only put about 60 hours on the motors since I bought the boat a month ago.

The Yamaha dealer who services my boat is telling me Yamaha didn't even flinch at their request to perform the warranty work, they immediately gave them the go-ahead, not only for the leaking starboard motor, but also for the port motor, which I haven't had a problem with as of yet. Yamaha requested the dealer to install a new powerhead in both motors. From what the dealer said, it sounds like Yamaha knows all about this issue and is trying to resolve it. Only problem is parts are difficult to come by including the new powerheads. According to the dealer, Yamaha may be re-engineering the faulty parts, thus the hold up.

I hope this doesn't happen to many other unsuspecting Yamaha owners, I have yet to see the light at the end of the tunnel, not sure when my motors will be finished. On one hand, it's great to have new powerheads, on the other, I'm going to be without a boat for a long time during the busiest time of my fishing season.

I'll keep the forum updated as work progresses.

I must say, Cape Ann Marine in Gloucester, MA (the dealer who's performing the work) has been incredibly great to deal with. I highly recommend them to anyone looking for excellent service.

fishinj

Recruit

My 4 strokes have also leaked ( oil only ) into the transom when the engines are fully raised. The dealer and manuf. could not offer any advice.
I have found that if I leave the oil level 3/4 to 1/2 qt low this does not happen. Maybe your port engine oil level is low and that is why it is not leaking ?? Try it.....good luck

Wilkinsn

Recruit

M
I run twin '04 Yamaha 225 4s on my Regulator 26. When I lower the motors, a fuel/ oil slick comes off the starboard motor. Both motors are still under warranty, but I don't have time to get the motor into the mechanic until next Wednesday since I'm a charter captain, with trips booked up until then. Troubleshooting and repair advice would be greatly appreciated.[/QUOTE

My 2225 is doing the same thing. Can you tell me what the problem was and how this was resolved.

Capt Ken

Commander

You are probably going to find the leak is coming from the lower crankshaft seal. It will require pulling the powerhead and installing a speedy sleeve on the crank with new seals.

Capt. Ken. I had a oil spill on my transom a few years ago. I believe we put in speedy sleeves on these F225s then.

Today I noticed oil on my transom coming from the middle engine. Guess I'll know more when I pull the cowling tomorrow.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
This thread is over ten years old. Once you open it up please a new thread.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.