Used motor need Choke Solenoid Help - Yamaha C60TLRU

southdadesnook

Recruit
Hi all,
Noticed there's a lot of good advice on this forum so I'm here to beg for help.

I recently purchased a 1996 Yamaha c60 and the choke solenoid is disconnected from it. Although I have the SELOC manual I cannot figure out for the life of me where this darn thing is supposed to be mounted.

Does anyone out there have a picture of this model showing the mounting location and where the pull wire should be attached? I would appreciate any and all suggestions as this is starting to freak me out.

I can see where the choke knob rod connects to the carbs but I just can't see where I should mount the solenoid. Please help!!!

Thanks,

Frank

BruceAML

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Used motor need Choke Solenoid Help - Yamaha C60TLRU

First of all you need to get the genuine Yamaha factory service manual. No other manual will provide the information you need. You can look up the parts illustration for your motor and print the illustration at the Yamaha web site. You can look here:

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/outboard/parts/home.aspx

The solenoid is item #39 in the ELECTRICAL 1 section.

southdadesnook

Recruit

Thanks for the advice my friend. Just ordered it. I'm sure it's $80 well spent. Appreciate you taking the time.

Frank

southdadesnook

Recruit

Well the Yamaha service manual came and believe it or not there is not a single mention of the choke solenoid in it. I have no idea what to do without spending $$$ on a mechanic for a part that should really be no big deal to replace. I'm a novice at all this and I'm having a hard time finding an outboard technician with references (from acquaintances, etc..).

Anybody know a good outboard mechanic in Miami?

BruceAML

Petty Officer 1st Class

You are fully capable of replacing the solenoid. Is your solenoid still there or is it missing some parts? It will be hooked up to the levers that move the choke. Look at the parts illustration again. Do you have any friends with similar motors? It often helps to look at another motor.

southdadesnook

Recruit

The old solenoid is laying on the bottom cowling unattached to the motor. It most definitely needs replacing as it's badly corroded. The pull wire and plunger are intact. The end of the wire is still attached to the little "lever" on the side of the carb. All I need to know is where to mount the new choke solenoid and then hook up the plunger to it.

BruceAML

Petty Officer 1st Class

You need to order the solenoid part number 6H3-86110-02-00 and bolt part number 97014-06016-00 and washer part number 92990-06600-00 and pin, spring part number 91690-30010-00. With the correct bolt and washer in hand you will see a hole close to the choke linkage where the solenoid mounts. It is much easier than it sounds.