Suzuki DT 55 head bolts

matt_v_75

Recruit
I'm currently in the process of replacing the head and cylinder gaskets on my motor. While removing the bolt for the cylinder cover the bolt broke. Greatfully I was able to get the left over bolt out. Since I have to replace that one I'm going to replace all of them. Question here is, are the bolts special (stainless, aluminum) anything like that or can I just goto the hardware store and get them. Also should I put thread lock or anything like that on the bolts when putting them back in? Any info would be helpful. Thank you.

gsyfishy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Suzuki DT 55 head bolts

They should be stainless, and you will probably need to order them through a suzuki parts dealer unless you can match the metric size up. Be careful, and make sure you get the correct thread.

James R

Commander

You will find that replacing the bolts is quite expensive and probably uneccessary. If the bolts are in good shape, the threads are ok and there is no bad corosion, then the bolts are reuseable. Just buy the bolts you need and get the Suzuki bolts. They are correct for the stress application.
Clean the threads in the block with the correct Tap and run a Die down the bolts to clean them. Use Anti Sieze and coat the threads and shanks of the bolts in reassembly and torque to the correct Ft/lbs. After running the motor for an hour or so re-torque the head bolts and the cover bolts.

matt_v_75

Recruit

Thank you for the info. I did end up cleaning up the head bolts, and just replacing the cover bolts. Got everything back together and the motor runs like new.