X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• steve66
    started a topic Suzuki dt3.5 running problem

Suzuki dt3.5 running problem

Hi i have a pair of identical Suzuki dt 3.5 outboards with an identical problem.They both start no problem and run for a few seconds then die.I have stripped and cleaned the carbs,checked the reeds, checked the ignition and checked the fuel to the carb which runs out when the fuel pipe is disconnected.It seems and sounds as if the bowl is running dry as the revs increase before it dies.As well as a gravity fed tank it has a fuel connector to run a remote fuel tank and a fuel pump.I have ruled out the fuel pump being the cause as when the fuel line is detatched from the carb fuel pours out.Has anyone else encountered this problem and a solution will be greatly appreciated.
    Regards Steve

• steve66
    replied
    Re: Suzuki dt3.5 running problem

Success at last!!!.Finally found the cure.Looking down at the carb there is a brass blanking screw.Underneath that there is a brass jet with an absolutely tiny hole.On every carburettor this was completely blocked and the only way to un block it was to soak it in acetone (thanks whoopbass) for a few days then poke out with a pin then jet cleaners.Whatever was blocking them was real stubborn.Then make sure the small holes in the venturi are clear,blow some carb cleaner through the offending brass jet and look in the venturi holes to see if any comes out.If so your problem is sorted.Thanks to everybody who has replied to this thread offering me advice.
    Regards Steve

Leave a comment:

• cousinabe
    replied

try using an auxiliary fuel supply.

Leave a comment:

• steve66
    replied

Quick update,problem still there but narrowed it down to a fuel starvation problem.\s you say i will remove the filter and try again.
    Steve

Leave a comment:

• Whoopbass
    replied

A quart size will do just put the carb in a small container and fill it up with the acetone. I dump the acetone back in the can re-use it.

Good Luck

Leave a comment:

• steve66
    replied

Hi I have been soaking them in traffic film remover, then using traffic film remover in my ultrasonic bath but as you say it had no effect at all.Acetone sounds good though and i will certainly give it a try.Hopefully by the end of next week i should have a mint as new 3.5 that runs like a watch that i can borrow some parts off to try.Now all i have to do is find me a gallon of acetone!!!
    Cheers again

Leave a comment:

• Whoopbass
    replied

I doubt you will find a diagram that shows in detail the air passages.
    Clean,probe,and prod the piss out of them and see if there is any type of changes at all.

The paint thinner I use says its "odorless mineral spirits". Says its a thinner for oil based paints and varnish. I don't know if its acetone or what. I had a gallon can of it here and started using it as carb cleaner about a year ago. Seems to clean them up good with no issues but if you have some type of calcium build up in a passage it might be tough to remove. You may also want to try "CLR" like previously mentioned but I don't know if that will help since it sure doesn't seem work for me for its intended use.
    I would let the carbs soak for a week in whatever cleaner you end up getting.

Do you put back the rubber o-ring where the carb mates to the intake? Is the bowls full of gas when they die?

If you know anybody or run across anybody with the same outboard see if you can tune it up for them and while your at it test their carb on your motor.

Leave a comment:

• steve66
    replied

Yes health wise your dead right!!!,but i aint gonna let them beat me!!.I use Brownspoint for the spares i bought and even living in the uk i found dealing with them no trouble at all.What actually im looking for is an exploded diagram of the actual carb showing the air passages to see if there are any i have missed.Is it cellulose thinners you use to soak your carbs?Here in the uk carb soaking solution is almost impossible to find and i was looking for a substitute.
    Thanks for your suggestions
    Steve

Leave a comment:

• Whoopbass
    replied

Click on the Brownspoint link in the above post if you want an exploded diagram.

Use a thin wire like a bread tie to clean out the orifices. I have had good success with paint thinner to clean my carbs.

It's odd both motors are suffering the same problems and even stranger that they aren't running like new after everything you've done to them. Health wise you might be better off if you just sell the darn things.

Leave a comment:

• steve66
    replied

Ok here we go!!.Replaced the reeds,fuel pump,plug low speed jet and still the problem is the same.Compression are all above 100psi.As most of you have commented it sounds like the carb,but i have soaked and put in my industrial ultrasonic cleaner for hours then dried off and blew out with compressed air and still the sameThere must be parts of the carb still blocked.Has anyone got an exploded diagram of the carb and/or has had similar experiences?
    Steve

Leave a comment:

• steve66
    replied

Cheers guys,will check both.
    Steve

Leave a comment:

• James R
    replied

Fuel pump old son. You may get enough fuel to run the motor at high RPM but if the fuel pump is not up to par slow running will fail.
    You are running a risk with a bad fuel pump. A lean mixture will burn the motor out.
    Ex limey.

Leave a comment:

• Whoopbass
    replied

Sounds like your motors should be running fine with everything you've done.

The only advice I have is to manually push in the valve stem on the fuel needle and blow it out with compressed air or clean it somehow with the valve open. I don't know if it will do anything but you have done everything else.

Leave a comment:

• steve66
    replied

Hi Cousinabe,thank you for your reply and link.I started with the low speed jet screwed in and tried it at different settings but with no difference.Will have another crack at it in a couple of days.
    Regards Steve

Leave a comment:

• cousinabe
    replied

here are some parts diagrams which may help... select your appropriate year based on the serial number.

here's what I have interpreted from your posts.
    1) starts fine and stalls after 10 seconds.
    2) it will run fine at WOT wide open throttle. no stalling.

so, if it's stalling only at idle, it sounds like a low speed jet/air mixture problem.

http://store.brownspoint.com/dt3_5.asp

look at the carburetor figure, part numbers 11, 12. I'm not sure of the specs for the adjustment settings. i would tighten to lightly seated and then back out 1 turn as a start.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X