Suzuki dt3.5 running problem

steve66

Seaman
Re: Suzuki dt3.5 running problem

Yes health wise your dead right!!!,but i aint gonna let them beat me!!.I use Brownspoint for the spares i bought and even living in the uk i found dealing with them no trouble at all.What actually im looking for is an exploded diagram of the actual carb showing the air passages to see if there are any i have missed.Is it cellulose thinners you use to soak your carbs?Here in the uk carb soaking solution is almost impossible to find and i was looking for a substitute.
Thanks for your suggestions
Steve

Whoopbass

Chief Petty Officer

I doubt you will find a diagram that shows in detail the air passages.
Clean,probe,and prod the **** out of them and see if there is any type of changes at all.

The paint thinner I use says its "odorless mineral spirits". Says its a thinner for oil based paints and varnish. I don't know if its acetone or what. I had a gallon can of it here and started using it as carb cleaner about a year ago. Seems to clean them up good with no issues but if you have some type of calcium build up in a passage it might be tough to remove. You may also want to try "CLR" like previously mentioned but I don't know if that will help since it sure doesn't seem work for me for its intended use.
I would let the carbs soak for a week in whatever cleaner you end up getting.

Do you put back the rubber o-ring where the carb mates to the intake? Is the bowls full of gas when they die?

If you know anybody or run across anybody with the same outboard see if you can tune it up for them and while your at it test their carb on your motor.

steve66

Seaman

Hi I have been soaking them in traffic film remover, then using traffic film remover in my ultrasonic bath but as you say it had no effect at all.Acetone sounds good though and i will certainly give it a try.Hopefully by the end of next week i should have a mint as new 3.5 that runs like a watch that i can borrow some parts off to try.Now all i have to do is find me a gallon of acetone!!!
Cheers again

Whoopbass

Chief Petty Officer

A quart size will do just put the carb in a small container and fill it up with the acetone. I dump the acetone back in the can re-use it.

Good Luck

steve66

Seaman

Quick update,problem still there but narrowed it down to a fuel starvation problem.\s you say i will remove the filter and try again.
Steve

cousinabe

Senior Chief Petty Officer

try using an auxiliary fuel supply.

steve66

Seaman

Success at last!!!.Finally found the cure.Looking down at the carb there is a brass blanking screw.Underneath that there is a brass jet with an absolutely tiny hole.On every carburettor this was completely blocked and the only way to un block it was to soak it in acetone (thanks whoopbass) for a few days then poke out with a pin then jet cleaners.Whatever was blocking them was real stubborn.Then make sure the small holes in the venturi are clear,blow some carb cleaner through the offending brass jet and look in the venturi holes to see if any comes out.If so your problem is sorted.Thanks to everybody who has replied to this thread offering me advice.
Regards Steve