Suzuki dt3.5 running problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suzuki dt3.5 running problem

Hi i have a pair of identical Suzuki dt 3.5 outboards with an identical problem.They both start no problem and run for a few seconds then die.I have stripped and cleaned the carbs,checked the reeds, checked the ignition and checked the fuel to the carb which runs out when the fuel pipe is disconnected.It seems and sounds as if the bowl is running dry as the revs increase before it dies.As well as a gravity fed tank it has a fuel connector to run a remote fuel tank and a fuel pump.I have ruled out the fuel pump being the cause as when the fuel line is detatched from the carb fuel pours out.Has anyone else encountered this problem and a solution will be greatly appreciated.
    Regards Steve

Re: Suzuki dt3.5 running problem

do you have enough ventilation at the tank?

Comment

Yes, the vent is open and besides the tank is 3/4 empty.Cheers for your reply

Comment

I found out if i manually choke it with the choke open it runs fine if a little rich.Could someone tell me the oil mixture and if anyone has any info about stripping and cleaning these carbs it would be appreciated.
        Steve

Comment

here are the exploded views of all parts of the yamaha 3.5A. They should be identical to the suzuki(?). There is a picture of the carburettor also.
          http://www.autocd.info/autocd/OM/3.5...4-28198-E5.PDF

If they are the same, I'm looking at one on my lap... trying to clean it

groet van Viv

Comment

Hi Viv,Thank you for your diagram,although the engines are different the carb looks very similar.How did you get on with cleaning you carb?

Comment

I don't really know what I am doing... But it looks a lot cleaner now. There was a lot of sticky stuff all over. It will be a while before I can test it. I need to replace the points because I have no spark yet.

This helped me a lot:
              http://www.dansmc.com/carbs.htm
              (and here on the forum of-coarse)

Comment

Hi i posted this problem a while back,but still havent been able to source the problem.They start on choke no problem,push the choke in and they run for about 10 seconds then die.Then it takes a few pulls on choke to get started again.I have replaced the reeds,skimmed the head flat,replaces the head gasket,good compression.Fuel pump works fine,stripped the carb and cleaned,float not sticking.
                Any ideas please im pulling my hair out!!!
                Ps Its a mikuni carb

Comment

Have you tried keeping it revved as soon as it starts or are you just letting it idle?

If it's only doing it at idle or just off throttle then it's the slow speed jet clogged. If it will still stop when at half throttle or so (high speed circuit partly open) then you still have issues with the main jet passage also.

It's certainly a carb blockage.
                  sigpic
                  1987 14' Mckee Craft CC (70HP Tohatsu)
                  1985 14' Gamefisher tin boat (10HP Gamefisher)
                  2007 18' Caracal (140HP Suzuki)
                  2004 3070 Pursuit (twin 300HP Yamahas)

Yes I have too many boats...some are not even on the list.... Wanna buy some?

Comment

Hi ,Yes it will run over half throttle,thanks for your advice.I have an industrial ultrasonic cleaner,could anyone suggest a good cleaner to add to the water?
                    Steve

Comment

Well with the ultrasonic cleaner you need non-flammable carb cleaner. Napa used to carry it in a quart can. I haven't bought any in a long time as it lasts forever...

If your's is like mine and has a heater, there's a product used for removing iron and other stains from bathrooms... think it's called "CLR"... I've used that with good success too.

Just make sure the area is well ventilated.

I assume you have an air compressor? All the passages really need to be blown out also. some carbs have a little rubber or plastic plug that covers the low speed jet... make sure you remove it and the jet if yours has one.

And as an after thought.... you do have the mixture screw adjusted properly???? I can't tell you how many guys have spent days trying to fix a carb "problem" only to find out that the screw is turned all the way in...
                      sigpic
                      1987 14' Mckee Craft CC (70HP Tohatsu)
                      1985 14' Gamefisher tin boat (10HP Gamefisher)
                      2007 18' Caracal (140HP Suzuki)
                      2004 3070 Pursuit (twin 300HP Yamahas)

Yes I have too many boats...some are not even on the list.... Wanna buy some?

Comment

Hi,Yes it has a heater and i do have a compressor and have adjusted the mixture,unfortunately i live in the uk so we dont have napa stores.I have some strong traffic film remover and was wondering if this would work.I will put a search in google for carb cleaner.Thanks again for your help.
                        Steve

Comment

Hi all I have now stripped the carbs, soaked all the jets in carb cleaner thoroughly cleaned all orrifices and galleries with carb cleaner,put the carbs in a ultrasonic bath at 60 degrees with cleaning solution for 6 hours.Removed dried and cleaned again with carb cleaner and blew out with compressed air to the maximum output my compresser will give me.Reassembled and still exactly the same,dies after a few seconds at anything under half revs.Did a compression test was showing 105 psi,checked points they were spot on.Please has anyone got any more ideas or could tell me where i can view an exploded diagram for the mikuni carb.I really am at my wits end now!!!
                          Regards Steve

Comment

here are some parts diagrams which may help... select your appropriate year based on the serial number.

here's what I have interpreted from your posts.
                            1) starts fine and stalls after 10 seconds.
                            2) it will run fine at WOT wide open throttle. no stalling.

so, if it's stalling only at idle, it sounds like a low speed jet/air mixture problem.

http://store.brownspoint.com/dt3_5.asp

look at the carburetor figure, part numbers 11, 12. I'm not sure of the specs for the adjustment settings. i would tighten to lightly seated and then back out 1 turn as a start.

Comment

Hi Cousinabe,thank you for your reply and link.I started with the low speed jet screwed in and tried it at different settings but with no difference.Will have another crack at it in a couple of days.
                              Regards Steve

Comment

Working...
                              X