Suzuki DT25C water pump impellor R&R

Olds Eddie

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a friend that just bought a boat with a Zuki OB. The guy he bought it from started it for him but didn't bother to use the muffs. I helped him change the gearcase oil and we started it up using the muffs but it didn't pee, which I figured would be the case. I have an impellor kit on order.I have done a search on this forum and caught wind of a situation with the shift shaft disconnect. I know that a manual would explain how it comes apart but my friend dosen't want to buy one yet until he knows that the engine is OK. Could someone enlighten me as to how the shaft is connected and what to be careful of. I have lots of experience with the Merc Alpha 1 and Classic 50 OB impellor replacement. Thanks in advance for your help.

Olds Eddie

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Suzuki DT25C water pump impellor R&R

Bump time. Surely someone is familliar with this OB. Help

mmd5

Seaman Apprentice

you have it right. Undo all the bolts, put the unit in reverse to expose the connecting rod nut, and then loosen it off. 10mm wrench required.

Olds Eddie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Many thanks, I appriciate the help. I wouldn't want to break my friends new toy.

Olds Eddie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I went to replace the impellor Saturday and saw that the shift link is a push-pull deal. I guess you should count the threads showing so you dont get the shifter out of adjustment. I removed the three bolts on each side but could not get the gearcase to budge. Is there a hidden bolt somewhere or is the drive shaft just stuck? If so is there a trick to freeing it up ?

greenhead1984

Seaman Apprentice

The 6 bolts, the shifting linkage, and the driveshaft are the only three things holding the lower unit on. Once you loosened those three things it should come off if not a little giggle giggle might be required or potentially a light pry job with the old flathead screwdriver.

Olds Eddie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My buddy and I tried hard to wrestle it free but had no success. We didn't want to ruin it by forcing it apart only to find a hidden bolt. We even tried to start it with the bolts removed while wiggling it to see if see would turn loose. Anyone got a trick up- their sleeve?

papaj

Recruit

Anybody know how to disconnect the shift linkage? I was trying to do the same service on this thread, put gear shifter in gear, removed the 6 bolts holding the lower unit, jiggled it loose and it came down about an inch and a half but could not get that shift linkage to come off. Anyone know if it comes off at the top or is it just at the lower unit location?

James R

Commander

Olds Eddie. Sounds like the drive shaft is hung up. With two people. One pull on the lower while the other pulls on the pull start.

James R

Commander

Papaj you should make your own post and state which year motor you have.

Olds Eddie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

On my friends Zuki we tried everything and then he took it to a dealer to see if they had any tricks. they broke the cavitation plate in several places trying but could not separate the lower end from the powerhead. It is corrosion welded to the drive shaft. He is looking for a used lower end as if he finds one we will remove it with a sawsall.

Papaj, if it is like my buddys it has a threaded rod that connects with a barrel nut and locking net. After loosening the lock nut one would simply unthread the barrel nut from the rod. Count the number of turns to loosen as this is the adjustment for shifting.

papaj

Recruit

Olds Eddie, I think I have the same motor as your friend or close to it. Mines is a 97 DT25C. My problem is with that threaded rod you're talking about. I loosened the lock nut but that threaded rod will not budge. I'm going to spray the heck out of it and see if it will loosen up. Otherwise I'll have to bite the bullet and just take it to a dealer for an impeller replacement. It just bugs me cause I know I'm real close to getting this thing off and I can see the bolts on the impeller housing. Thanks for the tips.