Suzuki DT25 ('88) - Remote Control

gsk2005uk

Seaman
Hello,

I bought 2 years ago a Suzuki DT25 ('88) for my boat but I was not given the remote control parts as the previous owner was using it by handle. I was forced to improvise and make my own controls.

It works fine except that when I push the throttle to Idle (neutral), the engine cuts off, not to mention that it takes ages to start it as the lever can't land precisely on neutral! And yes it starts fine without my design!
I assume the problem is that it needs tweaking and that for a few millimeters this does not work 100%.

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to improve it?
If someone out there has a similar engine can you please take a few photos of your original suzuki controls (preferably next to a scale/ruler) so I can adjust mine to the right size?

Yes I am aware that I can find the original parts at store.brownspoint.com but I got a quote of $100 including p&p, and I want to solve this cheaply.

Any help would be greatly appreciated:)

jethro5333

Cadet
Re: Suzuki DT25 ('88) - Remote Control

I think you need to bite the bullet and buy what you need. Also that is not an 88. Suzuki changed to the charcoal color in 1989. all the remote control connections on this motor are under the cowling not outside.

gsk2005uk

Seaman

I think you need to bite the bullet and buy what you need. Also that is not an 88. Suzuki changed to the charcoal color in 1989. all the remote control connections on this motor are under the cowling not outside.

Thanks for the reply.
The engine Model number is 02503-xxxxxxx, By looking at http://store.brownspoint.com, I have found that these numbers go from 1983-1988. Not sure when they changed colors:D

Anyway the point is that I got the connections outside as it can be seen from the photo:

If there is any way for me to make a working DIY control system I will try, if I see that nothing can be done then yes I will have to buy the parts:(

jethro5333

Cadet

my apologies. you have the old 2 cylinder 25. the color threw me off. that's a tough motor. I have one on my boat.

Attachments

• IMG_1481.JPG
    IMG_1481.JPG
    59.3 KB · Views: 0

gsk2005uk

Seaman

my apologies. you have the old 2 cylinder 25. the color threw me off. that's a tough motor. I have one on my boat.

A Million Thanks!
Not only I know the dimensions but I also know now the arrangement of the cables!:D:D

...and yes it the engine can tolerate me and my contraptions...it has to be a tough motor!!!;)