1990 Yamaha 150 ETXD Water Pump

jcotton

Cadet
First off I would like to thank everyone for getting me this far in changing my water pump.

After breaking off several bolts and other problems I've finally got down to the water pump. All the old pieces came off real well, with the exception of the woodruff key, which I'm still working on.

My problem is that when I removed the cartridge plate from under the impeller I noticed that the oil seal cover was loose. I looked under it and saw small metal pieces that are about the size of a pencil lead and are springs. I'm guessing that these small pieces were all one piece that maybe was a ring/seal of some kind. Is this part of the oil seal? If so can I replace them with new ones.

Any help would be appreciated.

jcotton

Cadet
Re: 1990 Yamaha 150 ETXD Water Pump

No help.

I've found out this. The little spring type pieces I found are from the oil seals. I went to the local Yamaha dealer and looked at the new seals and they do have a ring in each of them that is a small spring. I'll be removing the old ones in the next day or so and replacing them. I'll let you know how it goes.

jcotton

Cadet

I guess nobody wants to comment, thats ok.

This will complete my thread on changing the water pump and the oil seals.

I did change the oil seals. It was very easy to do as long as you go and buy a $12 oil seal puller.

One thing I did learn about these oil seals, from all the reading of web postings and factory manuals, etc was that around 80% of the time when you find water in the foot oil it is caused by the failure of these two oil seals.

I finished up by installing the water pump and assembling the lower unit back to the motor and everything seems to be working great.

Jimmie

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

sorry I missed your post.
easiest way to remove the key is with a dull chesiel and a hammer by driving the key down and out. sometimes they are incredibly tight.
if its a saltweater motor always remove the rubber damper and the holder to clean off the corrosion, on 25"motors always check the bushing in the midsection for corrosion/deteriation. I always reccomend cleaning the pressure grommet pocket and replacing the grommet at each pump change.
on the seals. the prop seals can do the same thing.
it happens occasionally.

jcotton

Cadet

Thanks Rodbolt.

I ended up removing the key by splitting with a small grinder and removing it piece by piece, it was the hardest part of the job. It looked as though it had never been changed.

I put the oil seals with them both facing up, that was the way it showed in the book and the way they came out. I've since talked to a mechanic that said one should be facing down and one up. What do you suggest?

I'm not sure what you mean by the pressure groment pocket?

The rubber damper, is that the rubber piece to the rear of the water pump?

I appreciate your help

Jimmie:D

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

pay no attention to the monkey, he cant or wont read.
Yamaha has ,well at least since 84, installed both the prop and drive shaft seals with the lips(springs) out on v motors.
he is old school jonnyrude or something.
the pressure relief valve is located on the lower stbd side of the exhaust cover, needs maint.
the rubber dam is indeed just under the plate to the aft of the pump.
corrosion can build up and when the new pump is installed it wont recompress and will cause loss of water pressure and low speed overheats, as will a stuck pressure valve.
pay attention to the service manuals not the monkeys.