Yamaha Lower Drain Screw leak

jce03

Cadet
Need Advice. I have a 200hp 2005 Yamaha 2 stroke. This summer i noticed a small drip of oil at the bottom drain screw. I drained the lower unit and pumped new gear lube in. All was fixed. I used the boat and theres a small drip again. I drained it but this time replaced the washers as well. Used the boat and the same thing happened. Drained and replaced the washers again but made sure i rolled them in the oil before installing. Again, after using the boat today i noticed a small drip on the bottom screw. The bottom screw certainly feels like it is seating when i tighten it. Any advice or do I send it to the shop?

:confused:

drewmitch44

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Yamaha Lower Drain Screw leak

hmmmmm! Is this real yamaha washers or the red washers you got or some rubber ones? You got to use those fiber washers. Real deal! Pics

Attachments

• gasket1.jpg
    gasket1.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 0
  • gasket2.jpg
    gasket2.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 0

BruceAML

Petty Officer 1st Class

Drew is exactly correct but there is one more thing to examine. Is the drain plug a genuine Yamaha plug and more importantly is it the correct plug? If you post your exact model number I can give you the correct part number.

jce03

Cadet

Guys,
I appreciate the help. This past Spring I had the marina change the lower unit oil. Maybe they put the wrong screw in. I will purchase a top and bottom screw tomorrow with the appropriate Yamaha washers. Hopefully this fixes the issues. Regardless, I will let you know how this turns out. Again thanks for the help.

Jim

BruceAML

Petty Officer 1st Class

Jim, If your motor is an SX200TXRD than the correct drain plug is 688-45341-10-00. It should come in a sealed bag with the part number on it.

jce03

Cadet

Guys, bad news today. I bought new factory drain and vent screws along with branded yamaha washers. It still leaks, very very slowly around the drain screw. Certainly seems if something is wrong with the threads on the outdrive but the screw goes in easily. It takes about a day for it to start its slow leak. My plumbing background tells me to use some teflon tape or something like this. I have know idea if it would be safe to retap the hole or what a new lower housing would cost.

Need your expert advice on next steps.

:(

BruceAML

Petty Officer 1st Class

What brand and type gear oil are you using?

Bluefish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Did you do an inspection on the drain hole to make sure none of the old washer is there and not allowing the new one to seat properly?

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

there is also the possibility that somewhere along the line the hole was improperly heli-coiled. carefully inspect the threads and the gasket surface.

jce03

Cadet

Just want to bring everyone up to speed. I have been using Yamaha's lower unit oil but I did change it to the LubriMatic Power Pro Synthetic Blend this last time. I've changed it 4 times so far in hopes to fixing the issue. (3 times with Yamaha's brand). I don't think its the fluid. I am aware the washer has tendancy to stick to the surface of the outdrive as the screw is removed. Each time the old washer is removed completely and a new one place on.

I did recieve advice today that the seal comes from the compression on the washer and not the threads. The marina (not a yamaha dealer) suggested using 2 washers on the bottom.

This is a 2005 outboard and I'm not sure in Yamaha will take care of this.

Thoughts on the 2 washers?

Thanks for everyones guidenance.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

if one washer, as designed, wont seal odds are high two wont either.
the seal is created between the flat face of the screw and the flat gasket surface on the gearcase.
your going to HAVE to inspect the sealing surfaces for the defect.
if oil will leak out then water will leak in.
no other way. if its marrred or scuffed odds are high its not a yamaha issue but a maint issue. dont expect it to be warrenty by yamaha.

jce03

Cadet

Any idea what the housing would cost on the lower unit if i have to replace it? Its a 2005 200hp 2 stroke.

I hope this isn't the solution.

jce03

Cadet

Just wanted to bring everyone up to speed on this. I've had a very slow drip of oil coming from my drain screw (2005 Yamaha). I took it back to the Yamaha dealer last week and they inspected everything and found nothing wrong. Four days later the Dealer called me and stated they now see a very small oil drip. Apparently there is a very slight imperfection with the housing. Its the first time they have ever seen this. They contacted Yamaha and they were willing to split the cost ($400 credit) towards a new lower unit housing. I would have to pay the balance of the new housing and labor. The dealer is estimating that to be about $1000. Does that sound about right? Do you think I would have any luck contacting Yamaha afterwards? I've given the dealer the ok to replace.

I'm open to advice.
Jim

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

as it worked for a long time odds are high the imperfection was a technician created one, otherwise it would have leaked from day one.
if it was a yamaha issue odds are high, if the dealer is good, yamaha would pay all but the labor on a new case.
can you post some detailed pictures of the socalled imperfection ?

Captain Paul

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just in case, are you sure your screwing it in well enough to allow the gasket to seal? Sure, you have to be cautious not to strip it, but I know a couple of folks who had this problem on a Merc. They were using the wrong size screwdriver, of course it was covered with gear lube, and of course the fun angle we are usually at when doing this job.

As always, righty tighty

jce03

Cadet

Guys, Just want to bring some closure to this and I certainly want to mention the Marina. Both the Marina (Beacon Light Marina, Md.) and Yamaha were more than fair. Beacon Light inspected everything and came to the conclusion that the housing had a very slight imperfection where the screw head seats itself. This created a very slight leak that didn't show for days. I simply asked if Yamaha would do anything since it was a 2005. At first Yamaha was willing to split the cost of the housing and then I recieved a second call stating that they would cover the part and I would just have to pay the labor. I certainly thought this was more than fair and this speaks volumes about the dealer and the Yamaha Corporation. This renews my faith in companies that "do the right thing." Unfortunately, I didn't buy the boat from Beacon Light but I certainly will buy my next one from them and it will have a Yamaha pushing it. Please feel free to share.

drewmitch44

Lieutenant Commander

Cool beans i got a 86 115hp yamaha that i am so happy with! Its old but looks like it was the same up until like 92 or 94 or something like that. Its a great motor. Its got choke and i just tap the key and its going it runns at 1000 rpm for about 45 seconds then goes to 750-800 rpm. When i hit the throttle i am amaized with its preformance! I have not owned a lot of outboards this size but this one is the most amazing one that i have ever owned. I had a tower of power (merc)that ran great and was kinda of a hassle to upkeep but the power was not there like when i hit the throttle on this yamaha. I know its older but you asked for opinions and i figure when yours gets older you will be happy with it if you still have it and are still doing the maintnence on it. Good luck!