1989 SUZUKI 85 hp, parts and advise.

Nandy

Commander
I have a gentleman selling me this motor. He is asking 250 for it. He was running it in the lake when it quit. It would turn over but wont start. He was told at the shop that the oil injector quit working and it had a bad cylinder. He decided to buy a johnson and not repair the Suzuki (over 1k in labor and parts).
Having fixed multiple motor before I have no problem taking this project. However, I need to find a site to check the prices online, much like I do with mercury. Anyone knows such a site? If it has blown out schematics of the motor and parts even better.
Also, what do you guys think about the deal? I tried to check the value of that motor in NADA but there must be something wrong as the price it shows is 325. I know that is not right.

Thanks!

hopalong

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1989 SUZUKI 85 hp, parts and advise.

Check into ebay under suzuki outboard. Used parts are available for a lot of suzuki's.
For illustrated parts and prices go to the website below and start clicking onto your engine model and go from there. There are good diagrams for each area of the motor. Usually parts from an 1988 onto the 91 will interchange.
www.brownspoint.com

Nandy

Commander

I got talking a bit more with the gentleman. He said the shop quote him to replace the piston, rod and new gasket for the motor. He never got a written quote.
If this thing ran without oil I would think there will be more damage than that. The guy dont trust the shop, Im a bit skeptic. I have a different theory of what happens, but im not all familiar with motors with the oil reservoir/injection in board.
Right now, the motor turns fine, but wont start.
Question #1 If this oil reservoir gets empty, I will imagine that there is a sensor that will shut down the motor and keep it from turning on again until there oil in the reservoir. Or, if there is a sensor that checks if the oil injector performance and the injector fail I will expect for that to shut the motor down and keep it from come on until fixed.
Are these statements true? If so, could it be that the motor shut down due to the oil injector not working and that is all there is to it?

Question #2 How do I disable these sensors (if it exists) so I can turn the motor on even without oil and without the injector working?
I would do that for testing if the motor start. Of course I would use mix instead of gas. In the long run, I would probably like to run the motor in that manner permanently. I have a friend long time ago that did the same thing to a motor because he was affraid some thing like this would happen to him.

Last question, If the shop is being trutful, do you guys think that motor is worth 250? When I check for prizes changing all that is less than 250.00, if I checked right...

I could not find the current prize for such motor working. Nada, quote the motor at 375. Im sure that is not correct. Oh, and it is an 87, not an 89.

Thanks

hopalong

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Does the outboard have the Suzuki multi gage with it? The gage is a combo of oil,water,and rev, display which in effect will limit engine operating time. The oil tank incudes a low oil level sensor within. In addition there is a small oil strainer in the main oil line outside of the tank at the tank side of the engine.This may have sludge or old gel oil in it and may restrict oil onto oil pump.There is an low oil reset button at the control CDI side of the motor.
Do you have all these items on that engine? If the engine has all these items when you turn the ignition switch on is their a beeping/chirping alarm sounding? Does the gage red lite on?
If you have all the items above try putting oil in the tank and push the low oil reset. You may need to bleed the air out of the lines if filling the tank and reset oil button does not work.
You could part it out for $250. As for whats it is worth, it would depend on "all" it would take to get it back in operation.

Nandy

Commander

I havent seen the motor yet. That is mostly the information that the current owner gave me. I will keep your advise in mind for when I get to see it. Im trying to get an idea of what I might encounter and what to try or look for.

hopalong

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I would think when the the motor was under way the owner would have heard or seen the gage monitor indicating low oil warning or other engine warnings. The Suzuki oil pump mechanical system is usually very reliable. If for some reason it failed or an oil line broke and lost oil the cylinders most likely would be scorned.

Nandy

Commander

I would think when the the motor was under way the owner would have heard or seen the gage monitor indicating low oil warning or other engine warnings. The Suzuki oil pump mechanical system is usually very reliable. If for some reason it failed or an oil line broke and lost oil the cylinders most likely would be scorned.
I see. We are just not sure if that happened or not because we both think the same and your statement is alike. If this were a situation where the motor realy lacked lubrication then all piston will me damaged, not only one. There might be more damage in one than the other, but all will be damaged. The shop was replacing only one.
So the oil pump/injector is mechanical, not electrical.
Can I short those sensors cables and that will allow me to run the motor with a mix instead of gas? At least for a test although I rather leave it that way.
Is there anywhere that this oil pump/injector design is discused? I will be checking the motor wednesday and want to be able to understand more of it. I would buy the book but I am not 100 percent that im buying the motor.

Thanks!

hopalong

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If you put oil in the tank and erset the low oil it may start. Yes the pump is mechanical, driven off the rotating assy. There is info on the pump. Again look at the brownspoint site to see the illustration of the pump and associated parts. I would not short the sensors

Nandy

Commander

Thanks for your continuing help. I did look at the site and see the diagram but there is no information as how does the sensors work. Looks like there is a sensor to see if the reservoir has oil and 3 individual sensors to make sure the oil is being injected. But them, it don say is the sensors are pulsed, positive or negative logic. I would probably need to bypass them sensors just to see if the motor will start and hear for any sound. At this time, I really think, by the description of the owner, that there is no a problem in the piston but a problem with the sensor and just want to test that out.

Thanks one more time.

hopalong

Petty Officer 2nd Class

PM me your email and I can send you a fax of a wiring diagram and some info

Nandy

Commander

PM sent.
Thanks!

Nandy

Commander

I did see the motor today. The old shop did take the cylinder head off. The piston in the middle is lookin bad. It appears that it blew a ring, and the ring debris banged incide of the cylinder. It also scratched the cylinder walls, but the grooved does not feel worst than the other cylinder walls. I did fix a mercury once with the same problem and honing the cylinder was enough and until today that cylinder has the same psi as the others.
BTW, the owner does not have any of the gauge. When He had the gauges apparently they were not working.

I think the motor is worth the money, if i were to find more damage than what I want to fix I can probably sell the hydraulics and lower unit and make what I spent. The only thing that bothers me is the missing gauges. That looks expensive...

Thanks!

hopalong

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The multi gage -oil-temp-rev, is the major gage you would need to operate the motor. Without it the beep buzzer will sound off and you will have no warning indicators. This gage has the cable wiring built into the gage with a plug in at other end. I see the gage ever so often on ebay.
But you will need all the wiring harnesses at and from the motor to the battery and binnancle control. Hope he at least has these wiring harnesses. Without them you will have a $%&^ time connecting the remote circuits up.
By looking at the wiring diagram you can follow the cables and their connections to see where they go.Also in the wiring diagram the dotted line gages are options. But the Suzuki trim gage is designed for use only with the factory trim sensor which is mounted on the transom case mount just above the trim motors. These are electrically matched items.

You might want to look into another outboard if all this stuff adds up to mega dollars and headaches.

Nandy

Commander

I been adding and substracting. It will be nice to know what this motor is worth if it were in good condition.

delfinasul

Seaman

Sorry for hijacking your post, but i have a question, if i understand well, when the multi gage -oil-temp-rev is not prezent the engine protection doesn't work at all or just you don't have visual alerts?

hopalong

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I believe it will still have the audible alerts , but you wont have a clue to which alert it could be, and would have to give it your best guess to what it could be when out on the water....I for one would really not like this senario:eek: