2002 Suzuki DF140 Surging

timlemons

Recruit
A couple of weeks ago we were on our way out, and the engine fell off from around 4500rpm to 3500.. i pulled back and idled for a few minutes, pushed it back up and ran fine all day. Next trip out an fine all trip. next trip it backed down again. I pulled the fuel hose, and it looked like plastic lined hose, and the plastic was coming off and clogging the fuel hose connector on the engine. I squeezed the bulb and put the fuel line in a bottle, and all this plastic lining was coming out, some in pretty big pieces. Ran fine for few miles, then started acting up again. When i got back I changed the fuel line out between the bulb and the connector, changed the bulb, put an inline filter in, and changed the low pressure fuel filter, it just had a little sediment in it. Took it out sunday, and it backed down again. but if you leave the throttle in the same position, the rpm will back down, and then it will surge, kinda like its starving for fuel, then getting it. If i keep it under 3k rpm, will run fine, so im wondering if it could be a clog in the high pressure side. I disconnected the high pressure hose past the pump and high pressure fuel filter, and turned the pump on, and pushed out a strong stream of fuel. Also made sure the fuel injectors are all clicking.. just seems like its starving for fuel at higher rpm, and it backs off maybe 500-1k rpm with the throttle in the same position. It does not back down to the same rpm everytime, just seems to back down 500-1k rpm from where it was running at, then it will run fine for a bit, and do it again... seems like something is being clogged to me, but not sure where else to check. There are no errors flashing on the rpm guage and no beeps. Everything was good until this fuel line deteoriation issue.

Tim

skimmer

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 2002 Suzuki DF140 Surging

Sounds like a carb issue, or is it f.i clogged jets maybe, i'd start by tuning the carb anyway and see if that resolves it.

timlemons

Recruit

it is fuel injected.. but i got back out there and found some of the plastic from the inside of the fuel line in the connector, i'm confident that that will fix the prolem.

Attachments

• trashinconnector.JPG
    trashinconnector.JPG
    37 KB · Views: 0

Crispin

Seaman Apprentice

I'm having the same problem... 2004 DF140. Changed the low psi filter/water sep last night and didn't fix the problem. How is the fuel connection made at the engine? Looks like a hard connection, no quick release. Your post has me thinking we could have a bad line too.. Thanks, C.

Draig

Cadet

A couple of weeks ago we were on our way out, and the engine fell off from around 4500rpm to 3500.. i pulled back and idled for a few minutes, pushed it back up and ran fine all day. Next trip out an fine all trip. next trip it backed down again. I pulled the fuel hose, and it looked like plastic lined hose, and the plastic was coming off and clogging the fuel hose connector on the engine. I squeezed the bulb and put the fuel line in a bottle, and all this plastic lining was coming out, some in pretty big pieces. Ran fine for few miles, then started acting up again. When i got back I changed the fuel line out between the bulb and the connector, changed the bulb, put an inline filter in, and changed the low pressure fuel filter, it just had a little sediment in it. Took it out sunday, and it backed down again. but if you leave the throttle in the same position, the rpm will back down, and then it will surge, kinda like its starving for fuel, then getting it. If i keep it under 3k rpm, will run fine, so im wondering if it could be a clog in the high pressure side. I disconnected the high pressure hose past the pump and high pressure fuel filter, and turned the pump on, and pushed out a strong stream of fuel. Also made sure the fuel injectors are all clicking.. just seems like its starving for fuel at higher rpm, and it backs off maybe 500-1k rpm with the throttle in the same position. It does not back down to the same rpm everytime, just seems to back down 500-1k rpm from where it was running at, then it will run fine for a bit, and do it again... seems like something is being clogged to me, but not sure where else to check. There are no errors flashing on the rpm guage and no beeps. Everything was good until this fuel line deteoriation issue.

Tim

Hi, I have a 2003 DF90 and have exactly the same symptoms as you describe.
Did you ever get to the root cause of the problem?

Cheers