water pump on Suzuki 115 4-stroke

capt g

Cadet
am fishing guide and use engine 500 hours/year and have not changed water pump in three years yet it still works fine.
Should I change water pump anyway now or will there be a tell-tale sign of less water pumping through and then change.
Thank you.
Capt. G

JUSTINTIME

Captain
Re: water pump on Suzuki 115 4-stroke

i would, unless u want to be stuck out there will paying people8)

boashna

Cadet

trailer bearing , battery and impeller are three reasons for you to get stuck . mine says 200 hrs or once a year .

fishnman

Recruit

I learned the hard way. On my first Suzuki 140 2 stroke, when I ask a dealer about how long an impeller was good for, he replied that an impeller could last 5 years or more if the motor was used regularly. That sounded good to me. So I ignored the manufacturers recommendations for service. But being wise,(I thought) I purchased an impeller and kept it in my tool kit. Sure enough on a long planned Halibut fishing trip I got the overheat warning. No sweat, back to the ramp, pull the boat out and change the 5 year old impeller and get back on the water. Didn't work that way. Couldn't get the lower unit off. Why? Because some of the bolts were froze. The manufacturer's lay out a maintenance plan that will cycle the hardware as well as preclude component failure. If one lubes the hardware at first component cycle time, one may get by at pinching the cycle recommendations. But best advice is stick with the book. be well jer

cousinabe

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I do mine every 2-3 years.
You don't want to go over that, otherwise you risk frozen bolts, woodruff key, etc.

reeldutch

Lieutenant

not to mention worn drive shaft splines or a stuck drive shaft in the powerhead.

triumphrick

Lieutenant Commander

I guess that I have thrown a lot of "good" plugs, impellers, gaskets, seals, etc. away over the years....but that was the price I had to pay to ensure I didn't suffer a failure while out at sea with friends, family or others who would be impacted by such a failure.
If I made my living using my boat and motor and had to depend upon it's reliability I think I would maintain a regular maintenance schedule.
On the other hand, says a lot for that motor! :)