2001 yamaha 250 efi, Multi-function gauge and tps question .

bernieb

Petty Officer 1st Class
2001 yamaha 250 efi, Multi-function gauge and tps question .

The multi-function gauge first. This tachometer has the "Set" "Mode" buttons that I never use ,and the trim/tilt bars on the far right of the gauge works fine, the tach readings work fine, but on the "Key on only" engine not running, one oil bar shows for a second and disapears but the water bar(extreme left) comes on and continues to blink, one bar all the time(engine not running) but blinks while running. My question is what color wire from gauge carries the water info. from what? the temperture sensor via the computer? How can I test? Now for the tps. All voltages check out okay except one ,when I put the remote arm down from neutual to wot and it maxes out at 2.4v,but the Clymers book says it should be 5v ,and its a little erratic getting to 2.4v,how important is this reading? Engine runs great at wot but the rpm does appear to drift at times a couple hundred rpms at the 4200 level.Engine has 132 hours on it and has had all the fuel related items done to it,new fuel pumps ,plugs,new orange caps,all filters clean,fuel pressures right. Just trying to work out these final bugs.any thoughts are appreciated.

vx225mota

Cadet
Re: 2001 yamaha 250 efi, Multi-function gauge and tps question .

Did you ever get to the bottom of this TPS reading?

I can tell you the TPS should produce a smooth voltage curve and should run from a minimum of above 0.5 (+/- 0.2 volts) to a maximum of at least 4 volts and the increase/decrease should be smooth.

What I don't know is if it should go all the way to 5 volts at WOT or if it can be a lesser value. I do know it should be at least 4 though

JUSTINTIME

Captain

first, throw away the clymers and get a factory manual

what is the complete model number, i might have the manual on pdf for u

bigbrownbuku

Master Chief Petty Officer

a 5v tps reading would set a tps code. how are you testing the tps voltage? the flashing water sensor bar was an issue on that year model as the guage is too new for the engine. its easily fixed with another harness i believe, maybe just could give you the part number. check your dipswitches are set correctly too. just might also be able to pull that page from the tech guide.
dont throw the clymers away, reuse/recycle/burn the pos.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

double check the DIP switch settings, sometimes I have to toggle them.
the redwhite wire in the fuel management harness if its laying in the wet bilge can and will trigger the water in the fuel alarm even if its not hooked up.
for testing the TPS
first verify a 5V rverence, orange to black. then use a manual setting or an analog meter to verify a smooth transition from idle,about.62V to wot about 3-3.5V. most digital meters will try to scale at about 3 V blk to pink.
digital meters are awkward to deal with sometimes.
be aware that the test harness colors dont match the engine wire harness clors :)
it bites many a good tech.
I made my own with the correct colors :)