Yamaha Prop Shaft Seal Replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

rickboat

Cadet
I recently noticed a small amount of oil leaking from my prop. shaft of my 1991 Yamaha C115. I purchased replacement oil seals but am a bit concerned about how to go about relacing them. Can they be removed and replaced without removing the prop shaft bearing carriage? How do I go about removing the seals (tools) and replacing them?

Ray Neudecker

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Yamaha Prop Shaft Seal Replacement

you will have to pull the bearing carrier to do it right. A special tool is needed to remove the large gland nut.

Capt Ken

Commander

Now is it clean gear oil or black. Many owners think the black carbon washing down the exhaust stack and dripping down the rear of the skeg is a oil leak but isn't.

rickboat

Cadet

It's black. Interestingly enough, I noticed the "leak" shortly after I fogged my motor for winter storage. I used Deep Creep in the carb and cylinders. I changed the lower unit oil about 2 months ago so perhaps it should not be as black as what I saw leaking out. I'll have to wait until I pull it out of storage to verify.

Gizmo2019

Recruit
I am working on water pump housing need the orientation of the oil seals Yamaha 1999 two-stroke 90C

Status
Not open for further replies.