2003 Yamaha 40hp 4 stroke bogging

Status
Not open for further replies.

fpelton

Cadet
Have a new to me 2003 yamaha 40 4 stroke.
I boat the engine yesterday and ran it for the first time today. It was winterized prior to the sale.

It runs great at a low idle and can get up rpms under no load. When in the water, when I throttle it up it bogs down and cuts out. If I nudge it up slowly, eventually I can get it up on a plan and run like heck. If I power down and try to power up quickly, it bogs down or completely stalls out.

Any thoughts?

Bob

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: 2003 Yamaha 40hp 4 stroke bogging

sounds like its time to clean the carbs paying speacial attention to the acceleration enrichment circuits.
you should also check for fuel restrictions with a vacum guage and a T fitting installed just in front of the fuel pump intake, vacum should be less than 4" Hg and at least about 1/2" Hg at or near WPT.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

wpt was a typo.
but if I try to use the edit function my poor machine all but shuts down so I dont normally.
why didnt ya read the second reply ?

fpelton

Cadet

Now I get it. Thank you.
The engine is an 04, not and 03. The carbs were just cleaned, new fuel filter and a fuel/water separator added. When I recieved the boat, the tanks were dry. I started with fresh fuel, also filling the separator prior to hooking up the fuel lines.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

test spark, test compression, then go chase fuel.
I dont care if the carbs were brand new this morning,if they got trash in them this afternoon Guess what ?
its Suck,Squeeze,Bang and Blow. been that way for over 100 years.
when a gasoline engine,especially a 4 stroke, has a rapid opening of the throttle you MUST add extra fuel or a POP or total stall will result regardless of anyother issues.
as you stated with a gradual throttle opening it runs well I dont suspect compression or spark issues but they should be tested.
the chemically correct burn mix of gasoline is about 14/1 air to fuel. at about 16 to 1 the mix becomes to rich to ignite, at about 13to 1 it becomes to lean to burn. as its a constant volume fuel you must add or subtract fuel with the throttle opening.
diesel is a constant combustion type fuel and does not require air throttling and will burn in a 300-1 range from high to low.
gas is about a 3-1 range.
so based on your description when you open the throttle rapidly either there is not enough fuel in the fuel bowls for extra enrichment or the acceleration circuits are defective/dirty.

rpelton

Cadet
Rebuilding Carb ( was: Re: 2003 Yamaha 40hp 4 stroke bogging

Rebuilding Carb ( was: Re: 2003 Yamaha 40hp 4 stroke bogging

I'm considering rebuilding the triple decker carbs. I have rebuilt lots of carbs on lawnmowers, chainsaws and chevy engines, so I am hoping that I am not getting involved in something that I shouldn't. Any suggestions before I start. Can I get a carb kit from this site.
Thanks Bob

rpelton

Cadet
Re: 2004 Yamaha 40hp 4 stroke bogging

Re: 2004 Yamaha 40hp 4 stroke bogging

Have implemented all suggestions.
Spark check out
compression checks out
Fuel pump pressure is good
Carb rebuilt
Changed all filters, 6 gal tank, checked little titty on fuel line (and it is nice and firm when squeezed) - just like the old days.

How about timing? I have a light, but not the know how.

Or, is it time I bite the bullet and bring it in?

Thanks again,
Bob

The motor still dies out when doing a "hole-shot" (really fast acceleration).

The only thing I have not done is timing. I have a timing light, but

Oxygen

Recruit
long shot since post is so old but rpelton I would really like to know what the problem ended up being. I have exact same problem.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
long shot since post is so old but rpelton I would really like to know what the problem ended up being. I have exact same problem.

Long shot is right. He hasn't been here in 12 years.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.