Yamaha 0x66 250 EFI no Spark

tireddiver

Recruit
Is there a simple way to determine if the key ignition switch or the remote control harness is Bad?
I have just suffered thru replacing Low pressure and High pressure Fuel pumps all was working fine.
Today I went to start and all it did was turn. I'm certain that I am not getting a spark.
A friend & I were checking the ignition switch and at one point actually started the engine but after shutting it off we were back to not getting a spark.

If we remove the clip from the kill switch I get the alarm buzzer and if we eliminate the kill switch still no spark.

My gut tells me it is the key ignition switch but my buddy thinks it may be in the remote control harness wiring.

Is there any way to by pass the key ignition switch or test for voltages that will determine if it is in the Key switch or the remote control harness wiring?

Any advice would be welcomed

tireddiver

Recruit
Re: Yamaha 0x66 250 EFI no Spark

tireddiver said:
Is there a simple way to determine if the key ignition switch or the remote control harness is Bad?
I have just suffered thru replacing Low pressure and High pressure Fuel pumps all was working fine.
Today I went to start and all it did was turn. I'm certain that I am not getting a spark.
A friend & I were checking the ignition switch and at one point actually started the engine but after shutting it off we were back to not getting a spark.

If we remove the clip from the kill switch I get the alarm buzzer and if we eliminate the kill switch still no spark.

My gut tells me it is the key ignition switch but my buddy thinks it may be in the remote control harness wiring.

Is there any way to by pass the key ignition switch or test for voltages that will determine if it is in the Key switch or the remote control harness wiring?

Any advice would be welcomed

tireddiver

Recruit

Found the problem...
After looking thru three shop manuals we came upon a test procedure for the ignition switch
We think the black lead from the ignition switch came loose and we must have jostled it enough to enable us to start the motor that one time.
Then somewhere in the process we connected to the wrong side of the kill switch.
This boat has dual helms and they didn't follow the color code when they spliced in the second ignition & kill switch so we were somewhat confused as to what went where.
Having the right manual was our savior...
I have two of my own that didn't give us any instructions to test the Ignition switch. Both only offered a color code that was not what we were seeing with the splice from the second helm.
My buddy had a third from Selco publishing that had a procedure for testing the ignition and kill switch that enabled us to make sense out of the splice
I've seen so many times on other posts it is best to have a shop manual to work from.
Unfortunately there seems that one or even two may not be enough.
We found each of the three had their good & bad points.
Oh well at least I'm back in the game...8)

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

your boat is suffering a loose nut behind the helm.

tireddiver

Recruit

Ouch!

Just looking for some help.
Thought I was in the right place.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hahaha no worries.
is your hull rigged with OEM yamaha stuff or another brand of switches and guages?
glad ya got it going, however a careful insppection after a study of what and why the swicth has the wires it does can and will eliminate a lot of issues.
I find cobbled stuff almost daily.