yamaha 150 4-stroke sqeaking noise

cooktog

Recruit
I have a 2004-2005 4-stroke yamaha. When i first start my motor up it sounds fine, however after the motor runs for a short while,it has a high pitch sqeaking noise.This happens on a consistant basis...every time i go fishing.Has any experienced this problem or herd of anything similar?

Tacklebuster

Seaman Apprentice
Re: yamaha 150 4-stroke sqeaking noise

My 150 has a high pitch noise that almost sounds like a belt sqeaking after a run it for about 20 minutes or so. This noise only happens after it has been run and it is very annoying. I wish my dealer would fix it but they can't seem to figure out why it happens?

peterc38

Seaman

This was discussed on one of those other forums which shall remain nameless here. This is the fix that was posted by one of the forum members. Not sure if it will help you but its worth a look.<br /><br />Look at where the driveshaft exits the bottom of the lower motor plate, there is a small rubber "Seal" bushing ...whatever. That gets hot and starts to squeak, squirt a little lithium grease or other grease on it and no more squeak noise

cooktog

Recruit

Thanks Peter<br />Squirting oil on the shaft worked !<br />However...it only seems like a temp. fix. I wounder how many people experience this problem with this motor.Do you think it might be a common problem?

JRJ

Commander

Good job Ya-<br /> man :cool:

cooktog

Recruit

Tacklebuster......<br />You can spray oil on the drive shaft without removing a thing from your motor. You can even do it while it's running.If you look at the front of your motor there is a slot/open...<br />Look inside,you will see the rod...When you spray oil on it,the oil runs down the rod onto the bushing.

cooktog

Recruit

Tacklebuster...<br />My boat is at a auth. Yamaha service center now for a more permenate fix...I'll keep you posted!

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

Originally posted by charles c. cook jr.:<br /> I have a 2004-2005 4-stroke yamaha. When i first start my motor up it sounds fine, however after the motor runs for a short while,it has a high pitch sqeaking noise.This happens on a consistant basis...every time i go fishing.Has any experienced this problem or herd of anything similar?
There is also a lower bushing that supports the driveshaft in the exhaust housing. Yamaha sent out a service bulletin about a year ago or so with the part number of an improved bushing with more clearance so it will not make noise.

cooktog

Recruit

Seahorse,<br />Who did they send the bulletin to?<br />Wasd it dealers, owners or both?

bigbrownbuku

Master Chief Petty Officer

dealers. owners only get a letter when its a recall. the bulletin as i remember it only referred to v6 bushing replacement.