1989 Suzuki 75 Hp.

tjthomas25

Cadet
I've got a 89 Suzuki 75 hp outboard with a inline 3 cylinder and when i got back from the lake i check the spark plugs to see if they were all in good shape and if all the cylinders were working, upon looking at the 1st and 2nd cylinders it was fine then i took out the third one and it was clean didnt have but a little bit of oil and gas on it. The motor had been setting since 1991 when i bought it and had only a few hours on it and replace the spark plugs and but gas in the gas tank started right up sounded fine then when we got to the lake it ran a little odd and was slow and wouldnt let the boat plane off, probably becuase the i couldnt use the t/t becuase of the person at a marina sent me the wrong control box and now cant be reached so i had to buy another one which is on the way. Any ideas what might be wrong with it? Also I need to know how to put the t/t fluid in the motor.<br /><br />Thanks, <br /> TJ Thomas

bossee

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1989 Suzuki 75 Hp.

Because it has been not in use from 1991 until now, when You bought it and started to use it, there are several thing that may be in need for service and replacement:<br /><br />1. Impeller (water pump wheel), it is made of rubber and will by wear and or age become "not usable".<br />2. Carburators may need service.<br />3. New oil in lower unit is probably needed.<br /><br />Fuel pump is also rubber (diaphgram set) that could be in bad shape after so many years in "sleep".<br />Thermostat I would check so it is opening at specified temp (but be carefull with the bolts that hold the thermostat cover and also note the direction of vent hole on thermostat so it is placed in same direction later).<br /><br />That is just a few things You should consider to check/service now.<br /><br />I suggest You buy a Seloc or Clymer Suzuki outboard shop manual that cover the year you have. It is not expensive and could be of great help if you understand what is written there.<br />An owner's manual is always good to have and it can be bought at a Suzuki dealer (maybe try brownspoint.com ).<br /><br />Good luck!

Whatnow

Cadet
Re: 1989 Suzuki 75 Hp.

G'day Big T, you can't go wrong with the advice from Bo. Would just like to add that I would be checking No 3 Carb, I don't think it's getting fuel, Float bowl stuck maybe. Try undoing the drain screw on the fuel bowl No: 3 carb if no fuel comes out theres your problem. Or run the motor on the muffs for a few min's, and then put your finger on the plugs, the middle one will be the warmest and if the bottom one is cold. And theres spark that should be enough proof theres no fuel. Don't run your motor with a blocked carb. But a partially blocked carb is the best way to hole a piston I know of due to a very lean mixture.<br />Re: t/t fluid theres a Fluid resevoir under the motor that can be seen when the motor is fully raised (should be able to use remote switch left hand side motor just under cowling. Now you should be able to see resevoir, it has a flat blade screw on top. Remove screw fill with fluid, replace screw, then bleed. Bleed, screw, left hand side motor mid way between bracket that bolts your motor to the transom. Undo screw until motor drops, tighten screw, raise motor, fill resevoir again repeat until all air is bled out of unit. Re: undoing bolts if you manage to losen a bolt say 1/4 turn, then spray heaps of penetrating oil around the thread, then tighten and loosen working the bolt slowly back and forth. Using plenty of spray when all are removed clean threads, use compressed air if you can. On reasemble use a light coat of marine grease on the bolt and thread. There ain't nothing worse than drilling out and taping a new thread Hope this helps Justin.