Suzuki head removal

ttp

Seaman Apprentice
Question for Rodbolt. I was reading about outboard motor oils, is one better than another. During the conversation you mentioned something about Suzuki had the 100 hour head removal as late as 95 or so. Was this part of the normal maintenance of the motor? Could you explain a little? Also what is decarbing? I think this is the word you used? Is this about carbon build up or a carburetor adjustment and cleaning situation? I really enjoy all the information. This is great. I could stay on this site for hours.<br /><br />ttp

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Suzuki head removal

ttp<br /> years ago the way to decarb was to remove the head and if nessasary the exhaust covers and manually clean the carbon. however with better oils and decarbonizing solvents its usually not nessasary to resort to the old ways unless its extreme.<br />so now most decarbs are done with a chemical spray down the carb throats and by running a product like yamahas ring free.<br /> as far as spending time here, I know I spend to much :)

jafa

Petty Officer 2nd Class

TTP<br />I'm just about in the same position as you with an early 90's suzi DT40 , the head gasket was replaced by a previous owner , a few years ago , I believe as part of routine maint. Last year I did a chemical decarb with Merc Powertune and it really perked up the top end. As the motor is used in salt water, I'm getting a bit nervous about not pulling the head and exhaust plate gaskets this year and going chemical again. Broken bolts , ripped studs , tears etc. Suzuki says decarb every 50 hours on some models but does not specify chemical or mechanical.

ttp

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks guys for the info. I just purchased a 91 Suzuki 25 horse which had the head gasket replace because the old one blew out. Reason for blow out, not certain but the impeller had no wings on it and the heat sensore(s)I think 2, were melted. I am taking a chance on it. Cylinder and pistions looked ok, I was told, good compression even though I don't know what it was. Again, thanks for the info.<br /><br />ttp

p cleary

Recruit

my suzuki 4hp will not stop and i get a shock when trying it can anyone help

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

P cleary<br /> sorry about the laughing. <br />look for any chafing on the blue and the red leads. if chafed and toucing metal it may shock you. but most times its a bad switch or the rubber on the tip. can you describe what your touching when it shocks you. a model year is always helpful. <br /> welcome to iboats :) <br /> but try to post a new topic using the new topic button instead of the reply button, may get more exposure that way.