Yamaha 225 Timing Belt

PeteSmyth

Recruit
I just took my 2002 F225 in for recall mods (linkage) and while there the dealer said my timing belt needed to be replaced because it was showing signs of wear and cracking. The motor only has 220 hours on it. To me, it seems that the belt should last longer than that. I read in another post that the belt has a 1000 hour life. Is the delaer correct or just trying to boost revenue? Another dealer winterized it and said nothing about it.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Yamaha 225 Timing Belt

if its worn that rapidly there is a problem. ask to see the cracking. I have motors out there with over 3000 hours with the original belt. most crabbers prefer corrective maint as opposed to preventative.

PeteSmyth

Recruit

Thanks. I'm all for preventive maintenance, but 220 hours on a belt seemed a little too low. I will ask to see the old one for sure.

fridays

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Suzuki's mind you have chains..something to keep in mind for your next purchase.

bigbrownbuku

Master Chief Petty Officer

the only yamaha belt ive seen that needed to be changed at this point was on a t9.9. a bracket that twisted on installation (the bracket was to secure stator wires coming from under the flywheel)and contacted the belt. it ran for 26 hours like this until the first service. the belts are very reliable.