Yamaha Power trim and tilt not working

cubbug

Seaman Apprentice
I just bought a 2001 Yamaha 8 h.p. O/B. 4 stroke. Really nice little motor w/ little time 4-5 hours maybe. Electric start w/ PTT I haven't installed this motor yet. We're still frozen up tight here in Alaska. When I brought it home and hooked it up to a good battery, the elect starter worked fine, but all I could get from the ptt swich was a clicking someplace around the powerhead. Anyone have an idea where to start looking first? Thank all you guys for your past help. You're GRRRRRRRREAT!! Dave

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Yamaha Power trim and tilt not working

check the tilt solinoid for operation and verify the power connections are clean and tight.<br /> can you describe the solinoid for me ?

cubbug

Seaman Apprentice

Hi Rodbolt. Can you point me to the solenoid? I can't seem to zero in on exactly where the clicking is coming from. Thanks, Dave

cubbug

Seaman Apprentice

Well, problem was found. The tilt motor is burned out. The armature to be exact. There also is quite a bit of corrosion on the leads going to the brushes. This little motor is nearly new. Not sure what could have caused these problems. The ground for the tilt is good where it attaches to the zink. I'll keep an eye out for any used (?) stuff around. Thanks for the help guys, Dave

Ray Neudecker

Lieutenant Commander

I would hook up a battery disconnect for it. Moisture in a switch can activate the tilt. I am not sure that model has a limit switch and it could try to run until the battery went down and the motor was cooked.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br /> that tiny wire by the zinc is NOT a ground wire. its strictly for bonding. all it does is help keep the bracket at the same potential as the swivel. wont carry much current at all.

bigbrownbuku

Master Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by rodbolt:<br /> hello<br /> that tiny wire by the zinc is NOT a ground wire. its strictly for bonding. all it does is help keep the bracket at the same potential as the swivel. wont carry much current at all.
heh unless you get a bad engine ground, then you get a funny burning smell and the plastic on the bonding strap goes all runny :(

cubbug

Seaman Apprentice

The armature is burned in the tilt motor. Got to wonder tho, what could have caused this? Really a shame because the tilt hasn't been used but 8-10 times. This motor is as new w/ 3 hours or so total time.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

usual causes of a burned armeture is a failed trim solinoid"usually due to low voltage" or low voltage to the tilt motor. either one can cause a failure. or the motor seals fail and it fills with saltwater.