TEFLON TAPE/RACOR FILTER

playnsnookie

Cadet
I have just bought a new Racor 120 Gas /water seperator and the instructions state not to use teflon tape, but to use steel plated fillings. Why is this so. Thanks for the help

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: TEFLON TAPE/RACOR FILTER

take the teflon tape in your throwing hand. walk to the bow. throw as hard as possible. <br /> the pipe threads have a tendancy to sliver and clog the system downstream. that and it tends to wedge and spilt castings. I use perfect seal or pipe sealant with teflon. never use teflon tape on a fuel or oil fitting. I dont even own any.<br />cant think of any use for it that I dont have something better

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

Gas seems to seep between the metal and tape over time. It couldn't be much, but fumes would be a logical consequence. For fuel fittings I use Perfect Seal or Liquid Permatex, for water fittings I use pipe dope. Perfect Seal is a shop item and few dealers sell it. Liquid Permatex and pipe dope can be had from all sorts of places. Add a tube of Ultra Silicone and you have pretty much all the sealants you need for a boat.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

you can buy a smaller can from a jonnyrude dealer. or just buy a tube of the locktite hydraulic line sealer.

fridays

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I've used teflon tape exclusively for everything for about 30 years now..motorcycles, farm machinery, boats, cars, house, gas, water and hydraulics and can honestly say I have never had a problem. None of my customers have had a problem of which I am aware.I have read (and ignored) the labels, read all the reasons why you shouldn't use it and have yet to see anything that made sense. My take is the sealer companies know how cheap, easy and good it is and have come up with these reasons to keep from going out of business. I know that many (as above) will disagree but if used carefully and in the correct direction I see no problem.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

friday<br /> the key is in the last sentance. carefully and in the correct direction. I have used teflon in the past. I have also dug a mile or so of it out of fuel systems due to wrong direction and careless use. kinda like silicone and black tape. more aint usually better. :)

John from Madison CT

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I once improperly used Teflon on a brass fitting going into a Racor Fuel Filter head. I must have used too much and also overtightened the fitting.<br /><br />What happened was a hairline crack on the Racor head, which was not noticed since it was so small. It caused the engine to suck air and run like crap. You have NO idea how hard it was to diagnose.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

Teflon tape will seal the fittings, but the reason it is not recommended, is because when you remove a fitting, the tape tears and the "strings" of tape can get into the fuel system.<br /><br />Ever see what the tape looks like after you remove a fitting?

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

seahorse<br /> yep<br /> like I said, I bet I have pulled a mile of the stuff out of fuel systems in the past 30 years or so.<br /> for some reason people even use it on flare fittings, usually causes more problems than it solves. it also wont dissolve in carb cleaner and must be removed manually,somehow. :)

Ray Neudecker

Lieutenant Commander

Rodbolt is right on the money (not unusual for him). Hate to think of the hours I have spent hunting down problems where it has stopped up something. I have even seen blown powerheads from it. Even though it can be useful if used properly, the risk is too great when there are other products that will do the job without risk.