1985 55hp Suzuki dogs out

wrolson60

Cadet
I am still having trouble getting my 1985 55hp Suzuki to run well. As I have posted previously, I went through the carbs now 4 times cleaning and blowing with compressed air. I am certain they are surgically spotless at this point.<br /><br />The engine starts fine and runs in gear at home on the muffs. When I put it in the lake it will kill as soon as I put it in gear. It almost seems to be like I cannot give it gas fast enough. If I sit back by the motor and manually play with the choke I can get it to putter along but it will kill if I give it throttle.<br /><br />Fuel pump is rebuilt, carbs are rebuilt, spark plugs are new again, all cyclinders have good spark, tried installing new fuel tank, line, and primer bulb. Squeezing primer bulb while trying to run motor does not have any effect so I am sure the fuel pump is working alright. I have adjusted the linkages according to the Clymer manual however the manual does not tell me how to adjust the switch mounted on the center carb. It has no setting screw but the upper screw hole is slotted allowing for minor adjustment positioning. I am wondering if this could be playing part in the motor not running well?

jim dozier

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1985 55hp Suzuki dogs out

Since you have been in and cleaned the carbs several times maybe you should check that throttle switch. What year did you say this was?

wrolson60

Cadet

It is a 1985. The Clymer manual has tests to check the continuity of the throttle switch which tested ok according to their procedure but the manual does not say anything about how or if I need to adjust the positioning of this switch when it is screwed back onto the center carb. Since the switch has two mounting screws and the upper one is slotted I would assume it must need some sort of adjustment?

rdxgator

Cadet

I have a 94 dt65. my throttle position sensor had a small round black rubber cover on the unit. You pop that off and the adjustment screw is in there. Says not to us a magnetic screwdriver to adjust. Not sure if your's is similar but I'm pretty sure mine is giving me problems. It was doing the same thing but i could put it into gear just not throttle up. found that I had a broken wire near the plug. fixed that and it did better. but now it is very unsteady and irratic. I would like to get a new one but can't find any on the web.

Divado7

Cadet

i will tell you whats wrong with your engine.

i had the same prob with my 85 85hp suzuki upon rebuilding it.

cleaned carbs and had same prob your having.

what u have to do is adjust the air intake screws on the carbs.

i had to advance them much higher than spec

so it runs at a higher rpm

dont set it too high so that it slams into gear, if that happens its too high

just mess with it til you get it right

bring a flat head with you on the lake and have someone pop it in gear after you mess with it, after a little trial and error you should get it.

lmk if it works. david

pege

Recruit

Had the same problem this summer. My sensor is a aluminum houses with three wires. Found out that one of the three wires from the sensor was off. Tried to solder on new wire, but because of corrosion, it did not work. Using a Dremmel I removed the resin and come in to a "PC board" with acontact set. Here I changed all the lines ( the two others were also corroded). With a ohm-meter I checked if the sensor is in the correct position. Black is common, green is nutreal whitw/red is "running". First I did not find the correctly position for neutral, despite the room in the the adjustment slot. It was not enough room at all. Tried different positions on the trottle and/or sensor. No success. "In desperation" I took a file and made the track longer and therby was able to find the neutral position. Problem solved and the engine runs great.