Repair Crankshaft - Yamaha 90hp

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Repair Crankshaft - Yamaha 90hp

I have a 3 cylinder yamaha 90hp outboard (1998). One of the oil injectionhoses came loose during transit, and the 2nd cylinder caused the engine tooverheat. The result is a crankshaft with half the centre journal a bitscuffed. I'm told by a mechanic that I would be crazy to use the motor againwithout replacing the crankshaft ($1200). It amazes me that I cannot findanywhere in Australia who can repair a crankshaft !Is it possible to get some sort of two part hardened metal sleeve that canbe fitted over the jounal once it has been ground down to restore it to it'soriginal size ? How deep is the "Hardening" on the crankshaft ? How else arecrankshafts repaired ?Thanks for your assistanceLiam

Re: Repair Crankshaft - Yamaha 90hp

Check Ebay, maybe somebody will part out a decent crank. I don't think they make oversized roller bearings for ground down cranks on outboards, I could be wrong.

Comment

NEECA does individual journal repairs. They grind the crank slightly and set you up with oversized bearings.I don't know if it would be worthwhile to ship your crank all the way from Australia though.

Comment

hello most any good motor cycle shop should have the tooling to repair that crank. ackermann marine here in the states does mine. the crankpins and cheeks are pressed together. good luck and keep posting
        no tech questions by PM, they wont get answered.
        you have to be trusted by the people that you lie to .

Comment

Itovey2: Since you can see the scuffed journal, you presumeably have the one piece crankshaft. The hardness goes all the way through minus any deep burning that continued running may have caused. How long did you go before shutting it down? "Scuffing" doesn't sound serious at all.You can beat the $1200 price by a lot. It's a long way over here, but, we'll repair it, provide the bearing, and refinish the rod of your choice for only $240. If interested, we're at NEECAPRECISIONS.COM

Comment

Working...
          X