Pressure relief valve on 2003 F225 Yamaha

bencat

Cadet
I have looked on the parts list that is on the Yamaha web page and can't find the Pressure relief valve. Can anyone tell me exactly where it is on the engine and a referance number on the parts list. When I had the 10 checks done I asked the folks that did it and they either didn't know or didn't want to tell me where it was. Thanks, Ben

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Pressure relief valve on 2003 F225 Yamaha

hello<br /> dude<br /> top secret<br /> if we tell we must kill<br /> its a classified 4 stroke whiz bang thing.<br /><br /> well I guess you can keep a secret and no one else will know. otherwise I will be out of a job.<br /> <br /><br /> the parts manual calls it a "cover". how they got that I aint got a clue. I guess it was a bad translation day. <br /> anyway if you standat the backof the engine and look fwd you will se a rectangular seam just below the lower cowl. that has to be removed. if you ghave never done this we will doit the long way today. use a 5mm allen key and remove both plastic side cowls or trim pieces. the use the 5mm and remove the rectangular piece of trim at the back. then looking in on the power head adapter you will see a large approx 1-7/16ths" hex that is tetained by a sheetmetal locking plate. remove the 10mm headed locking bolt. remove the plate and unthread that big nut. that big plastic nut assy is the relief valve assy. its a big throw away thing.<br /> reassembly is reverse. I can do it without removing the side panels but I have done a few hundred of them also.<br /> good luck and next week we will discuss how-n-da-el do you get to dem term-O-stats. some jap engineer is still chuclking. I also have a trick to keep the mess down when chaning the oil filter.<br /> good luck and keep posting

bencat

Cadet

Rodbolt, Thanks for the info, when it gets a little warmer I'll give it a look-see. I think you told me about cutting a 1 gallon plastic jug and useing it when replaceing the oil filter. Ben

magnoman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Is this the thing that will not give water indicator? I ahve been going crazy checking, impellers, thermos, and boy how the hell do you get to the left side thermo I gave up...

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

port side thermo is easy to access, once you remove the casting that holds the ISC assembly, I can do both in about 45 minutes.
but like I said, if ya dont firmly bungee cord the muffs to the case and use full water pressure it wont pump.

OdessaTim

Cadet

:Hey Rodbolt, just joined the forum. No experience at posting so patience please. Just bought a boat with twin 2003 225 Yamaha 4 strokesand all the maintenance records were available and work was done by a certified mechanic. However, I noticed that there was no maintenance done on the thermostats. What is your opinion on how often they should be replaced. I've run 2 strokes for 30 years and always did them every year and was really suprised that the mechanic did not do them ever.
hello<br /> dude<br /> top secret<br /> if we tell we must kill<br /> its a classified 4 stroke whiz bang thing.<br /><br /> well I guess you can keep a secret and no one else will know. otherwise I will be out of a job.<br /> <br /><br /> the parts manual calls it a "cover". how they got that I aint got a clue. I guess it was a bad translation day. <br /> anyway if you standat the backof the engine and look fwd you will se a rectangular seam just below the lower cowl. that has to be removed. if you ghave never done this we will doit the long way today. use a 5mm allen key and remove both plastic side cowls or trim pieces. the use the 5mm and remove the rectangular piece of trim at the back. then looking in on the power head adapter you will see a large approx 1-7/16ths" hex that is tetained by a sheetmetal locking plate. remove the 10mm headed locking bolt. remove the plate and unthread that big nut. that big plastic nut assy is the relief valve assy. its a big throw away thing.<br /> reassembly is reverse. I can do it without removing the side panels but I have done a few hundred of them also.<br /> good luck and next week we will discuss how-n-da-el do you get to dem term-O-stats. some jap engineer is still chuclking. I also have a trick to keep the mess down when chaning the oil filter.<br /> good luck and keep posting

cousinabe

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Hi Tim, welcome to iboats!

According to the owners manual, the thermostats should be inspected/changed every 200hrs/year.

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/outboard/service/viewmanuals/viewmanuals.aspx?ls=outboard

For posting questions, it's always best to start a new thread. Provide your model number off the lower port bracket and as much detail as you can. We can only answer based on the info in front of us on the monitor.