Yamaha 250 will NOT pump oil from remote tank

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have twin Y. 250<br />Port engine will not pump oil up from remote oil tank to engine oil tank. Oil pump on remote tank is new. When manual switch is activated pump on remote tank runs and oil is pumped up (confirmed).<br />When boat is run, engine alarm goes off when engine oil tank runs low. Fill manually and alarm stops and motor starts/runs. Have checked sensor floats with ohm meter as per Yamaha manual (4.5 to zero ohms - all four check points; checked floats from both engines and got same readings; starboard engine works as it should)<br />If you turn off the key in the ignition and then turn it back on the pump will start pumping oil up if the oil is low in the engine tank. If you take off the drain 'tube' on the bottom of the engine oil tank and drain the oil out (with the switch on) the pump will not start to fill the tank as the oil runs out (the thought was to simulate using up the oil as your run the boat). Two arrows on cap and side of the engine oil tank are lined up. Float is free from dirt, or sludge. For some reason when the float drops a 'message' is not sent to the pump motor to start running. But if you turn off the switch and turn it back on it works. This sounds like there is some kind of 'logic'device between the engine oil tank float and the oil pump on the remote tank that is not working.<br />The pump works. The float checks out.<br />Have switched floats to no avail.<br />Has anyone run across this one?<br />Tom Wadsworth

rbu

Seaman
Re: Yamaha 250 will NOT pump oil from remote tank

It sounds like you are saying that when you turn on the key switch, the sensor and module work properly and tell the remote oil pump to fill the engine tank. But once underway, and the oil level runs low, no signal is sent to the pump to re-fill the oil tank. <br /><br />I don't know the answer to your problem but I think you could have a bad control module. I would recheck all sensors before replacing. I think they are pretty $$$. I think there is switch to prevent the tank from filling when the motor is tilted up (might be part of module). Maybe that's bad? If you have a repair manual, that should give you all of the info.<br /><br />Good luck ... season's winding down now.

Capt Ken

Commander

Not knowing which year that 250 is its going to be hard to guess at the cause. They changed the systems several times over the years. Is the trim gauge working? Mid 90's they used the sender on the trim gauge to keep the system from pumping when the engine was tilted. These had problems and would stop the pumping action. Some had a mercury switch built into the control module. Some control modules were separate from the CDI and some was built into the CDI.

The problem seems to be fixed but I do not know why. I switched the CDI units from stb / port today. Put the boat in the water and ran for over an hour without an alarm or shutdown; no problems. All I can figure is that something that was loose got tightened or the CDI needed a little bump. Logically? There is no reason for the problem to be fixed.<br />But I have 4400 on one engine and 4700 on the other so I will work on that and take what I can get. These engines are 1991; I do not think there is the trim / tilt interlock (what an idea that was).<br />When all else fails, unhook / disconnect everything and hook it all back up.<br />TW

fmorale4

Cadet

I have the same problem with 1998 -150's but I had switched the tachs because other ones were bad (digital screen because of sun) was that something you did also? Istill haven't figured mine out .

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

start a new thread, this one is 8 years old and about a 3.1L engine not a 2.6L.
ill try to get this one locked.
post the full model number.
do a forum search for precision blend.

Status
Not open for further replies.