1988 Yamaha 150hp Powerhead removal

johnyi

Cadet
While changing the water pump I noticed that in one spot the upper shift rod has rusted to 1/2 it's origional diameter. I'm told the power head has to be removed to replace the shaft and was quoted $2500 to $3000 by a local mechanic. I'm considering doing the job myself and would appreciate any advice. Can the 11 bolts that hold down the power head be removed without snapping? If so, how? Is there any way to reinforce the rusted area on the shaft (1/4") making replacement unecessary?

twwmm

Seaman
Re: 1988 Yamaha 150hp Powerhead removal

not sure if this idea would work but what about a tube fitted over the part, it would have to be thick enough to take the load as long asit didnt interfere with the up/down movement might be worth some thought

johnyi

Cadet

The rod receives the splined lower unit shift shaft. The receiving area has a larger diameter than the rest of the rod. The tube would have to be slotted along one side allowing it to be snapped over the rod. It would also have to be fastened since the load is torsional rather than up and down. Access is from below and there's not much room to work with. Maybe I could snap on a stainless tube with some type of adhesive in it? Thanks for the idea. More opinions would be greatly appreciated.<br /> John

rbu

Seaman

I have a 1988 225 and, fortunately, my shift shaft is still in good shape. But I have been told that if it does go, it is a nightmare to fix. Especially if its a salt water use engine.<br /><br />I snapped a bolt removing my lower unit last season, I would expect the same would happen if I ever had to remove the powerhead.<br /><br />I don't have any suggestions on how to fix the shift shaft without removing the powerhead, but if you come across any, please post them, just in case.<br /><br />Also, if you do pull the powerhead, you might want to look into replacing the tiller arm. Pre-Saltwater Series Yamahas also had problems with the tiller arm rusting as well.

johnyi

Cadet

Thanks,<br />I thought those bolts would be trouble. I'm considering cleaning & greasing the weak spot and keeping my fingers crossed through the season. It sounds like a winter project. If I start now, I might not launch until July. Wish I noticed the problem last December.<br /> :confused:

kenthrussell

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi well being a millwright by trade and seeing alot of stuff and having to make a repairs in the field.......what you could do if you have the room is machine a piece of 5/16 round rod bore it out to 1/4 as this being your original rod diameter and then in a milling machine slot the side of the rod as to be able to slide over the damaged area and have a couple of tacks welded on the machined piece and your shift rod, if this works could be a permanent fix provided you have the room ....hope this helps .the cost would be minimal.hell if you were here be 10 bucks

Salty115

Recruit

Johnyi<br /><br />I have the same problem with the rusty gear shift shaft on my 1988 Yamaha 115.<br /><br />I plan on using a sleeve to fix my problem, due to the excessive cost involved in the power head removal/repair and mainly because Snapper season just opened back up and the Grouper and Mahi Mahi and hitting like crazy.<br /><br />Try looking at www.mcmaster.com for a split coupler, I just found this site today and intend on searching it tonight. Use one of these SS parts and some JB weld and I believe we'll be set for sometime.<br /><br />Of course, what does the rest of the shaft look like???<br /><br />Good Luck,<br /><br />I would appreciate your feedback on coupler selection if this is the way you go.<br /><br />Salty115

kenthrussell

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi again if you have the room 3/8 diameter would even be better .........

johnyi

Cadet

These ideas are very helpful and appreciated. As for machining a part to be welded on, I have the resources to make the part, but, I would need a welding wizard to attach it. The bottom is no problem, however, the top access is very restricted. I'll get an expert opinion since, if feasible, this sounds like an effective quick fix. As for the split coupler and JB weld, I'll be looking into that tonight. It almost sounds like I could be fishing by friday with this alternative. How stong is JB weld and would it hold up in salt? I'll post whatever I come up with. Thanks again,<br />John :)

johnyi

Cadet

Salty115,<br />I looked through the Mcmaster Carr web site and think the stainless rigid two piece clamp-on couplings, 1/4 x 1/4 w/o keyway 60845k41 might do the trick (page 1004). It seems expensive($36.29) but if it works it will be well worth it. There might be enough room to tighten the inside four socket-head cap screws. The outside four may be inaccessible. I would prefer something longer than an inch but found this to be the best candidate. It looks as though the rest of the shift shaft is ok. It seems like erosion and corrosion teamed up to do the most damage in the one small spot where the shaft is directly exposed to salt water. By the way, a new upper shift rod for my motor would be roughly $60 for the part only. Let me know if you found something better.<br />Thanks again,<br />John

my new fishmaster

Petty Officer 1st Class

2 to 3k forget about that you could buy my 325e BMW for $5,500. Go to a good welder and maybe lowes or something you should beable to extend the part.

johnyi

Cadet

I agree, 3k is way too much to spend just for changing a $60 part. I could buy a rebuilt powerhead for that kind of money.

bigshrimpin

Seaman

johni,<br /> Did your solution work? or did you have to pull the powerhead?

Capt Ken

Commander

The sleeve idea won't work due to the large splined end and the smaller rod. No way to attach the sleeve to the rod once you get it up there even if you could. The prices quoted are way out of line for this job. Job usually runs in the neighborhood of around $400-$500 including parts. Not really that hard of a job if you know what you are doing. Heating of the mounting bolts are a must if you intend to get the powerhead off without twisting them off.