Spark Plug info

yensid

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Two things, hopefully this will be easy for one of you that knows something about motors. :) <br /><br />OK, I looked in the NGK book and found my motor, a 1979 Spirit 85hp, and saw the plugs they listed, BR8HS - gap to .36. I got home and looked in my Clymers manual for the recommended gap setting just to be safe, and it also said .36. But, for an 85hp, it said to use B8HS, which is the same plug but not a resistor type. I double checked my motor and that's what it had in it, the B8HS. So, I went online and double checked what NGK said to use, and it did say the BR8HS. Hmmmm....so I looked up the 1979 Suzuki DT85 (which I thought was the exact same as my motor, and is really what my Clymer manual is for) and NGK says to use the B8HS!<br /><br />So, question 1: Is there that much difference between the two, and if so, which do you think I should use?<br /><br />Question 2 (this one is hopefully silly): My spark plug wires don't fit on these spark plugs because these ones have a cap on the threads at the end. Can those safely be removed if I do want to use these?<br /><br />Thanks, hopefully this is pretty easy, but better safe than sorry!

fone_man

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Spark Plug info

Same plug... just has a resistor for electronics/radio interference... so you are OK there...<br /><br />I am not looking at plug but some spark plug boots require the "bulb" on top of plug or you can remove this "bulb" via unscrewing (threaded rod on plug) for your plug wire to be attached... as I said it is not in front of me but should be correct...<br /><br />Gap you say is the same... you are OK there.<br /><br />They added R to NGK site to designate Resistor as I explained earlier because of all of the electronic equipment in boats now... Radios, VHF, GPS, Depth finders, etc...<br /><br />Hope this answers your questions.....<br /><br /> :cool:

yensid

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Spark Plug info

Yep, thanks as always! That's exactly what I thought, but I wanted to make sure that the resistors didn't interfere too much with the voltage requirements. Not that I have much of a need for the resistor, having a broken depth sounder as my only electronics :rolleyes: