prop recommendations

yensid

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Well, I went and did something stupid. Took my boat out on the Mississippi, which I guess is really low right now. Should have figured that. So, you guessed it, I went over a shoal and chewed up my prop.<br /><br />*sigh*<br /><br />So, I need to get a new prop. Any recommendations on brand? I think I'm going to go with an aluminum prop, purely for price reasons. My wife isn't as comfortable with the whole in the water you throw money in theory as I am, so....<br /><br />Also, I can't seem to find the dimension on the old prop. I've pulled it an looked all over it, but can't seem to find any markings indicating size, serial number, etc. I can figure out the diameter with a ruler, but how do you figure out pitch?<br /><br />Or, does anyone have a prop size recommendation to start with for a 79 Spirit 85hp motor (which is basically a remarked Suzuki DT85) mounted on a 15 ft Procraft 1500 bass boat?<br /><br />How about a recommendation for a good place to buy a prop in the Mpls area?<br /><br />Thanks all :)

kev_79

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: prop recommendations

going for price, get it repaired. Sometimes cheaper, and they can even adjust the pitch.

kevlar3000

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey Yensid,<br /><br />Where were you zooming around on the river? I was at the Ford **** on Sunday and lived the boating good life. Went way down the Minnesota too. Check out Twin City outboard for some cheapies. Supreme Marine has a good selection but mostly Merc stuff. Ebay is a great place too. I would guess you need somthing in the 13-17 pitch range with a diameter of 10 to 12. Kinda guessing here. Also Boat US on 82nd and Lyndale would have a ton of new props.

kevlar3000

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I forgot fixing the prop will probably run 45 to 75 and take about a week. You can find a used aluminum in the same price range...

yensid

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I launched at the landing by 694, and just north of there, fishing off the islands....<br /><br />Thanks for the advice. I work in Richfield so have hit Boat U.S. a few times since I bought this boat, so I'll probably check them out. I have the recommended sizes from Mi Wheels I can try, too (13x19 for their aluminum).<br /><br />I do have a spare prop that was under the seats, so it will really be replacing a spare, so that can go back in to storage :) <br /><br />Next step is to get a tach mounted on here so I know for sure what the right pitch is.<br /><br />Thanks again for the help!

yensid

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Oh, and Kev, I didn't mean to ignore you :) Thanks for the advice. It's pretty badly messed up, with a nice chunk missing from one blade, so I suspect it'll be as expensive to repair....<br /><br />I checked out my spare, which when I first looked at it after finding it under the seat I thought it wasn't in too good of shape. But, pulling it out, it actually is in very nice shape! Better than the one I busted up, even (before I trashed it). Woohoo!

kevlar3000

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey Yensid,<br /><br />The river has great depth at the Ford Parkway ****, even at the lowest point of autumn there is good depth there. Plus there is solid fishing below the ****.

yensid

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I used to shore fish near there at the mouth where the minnehaha empties in to the river. I used to always look enviously up at the people fishing from boats under the dam :) <br /><br />But, now I'm really bummed out. I looked at my motor this morning, to see if the boat was located somewhere I'd be able to work on the prop switch easily, and I saw something bad. There was dark black oil in a line down the skeg, coming from where the prop is attached to the motor. I think I hurt something when I hit the rocks :( Very depressing. Any idea what that could be? It was dark black, not clearish like lower unit lube, so I wasn't positive what it would be, or how hard this one is going to be to fix....

River Rat 01

Seaman Apprentice

Yensid, it sounds to me like the dark stuff running down your skeg, might be unburned fuel mix, with soot it picked up. Rub some on your finger, and smell it. If it smells like anything but gear lube, you should be ok. Good Luck<br /><br /> RR01 :)

River Rat 01

Seaman Apprentice

Oops, forgot, check out the Hustler props. They are 2 piece units, and you can replace the prop housing for about the cost of a repair. I use them and really like them. Check out turning point propellers.com all one word, they have a dealer locator. Sorry I don't know how to send a link. Also iboats sells them to. Good Luck<br /><br /> RR01 :)

yensid

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thank you River Rat, that's a huge relief! It would make sense, I guess, because I spent the whole time on the river (after hitting the bottom early on) at idle/trolling speed, for fear of the bottom. From what I know of motors, that can cause some excess fuel build up, right? *phew* I'll be checking that out when I get home :) <br /><br />Someone else told me about multi-part props. Sounds like a great idea, I'll check those out. I had been looking at them because they're on iboats, but I'm not sure about doing that thorugh mail order, since I don't know the exact pitch and may need to return for a different one. I'll check out the local dealers...