$9.00 to $19.00 for oil ?????

BigFishKen

Seaman Apprentice
I've always used inexpensive oil in both pre-mix and injected motors. The person who sold me this last boat really tried to convince me to use only "Yamalube" ($18.00 gal.). Whats the difference in Walmarts brand ($9.00 gal.)?? He had nothing to gain with his arguement, as he's not in the oil business. Any opinions??? Thanks, Ken

Fouled Plug

Ensign
Re: $9.00 to $19.00 for oil ?????

Super Tech is great stuff at a Wal-Mart price. Some swear it's the same as Merc's premium plus TCW3. I don't see any reason to pay twice the price for no clear benefit.

BigFishKen

Seaman Apprentice

Makes sense to me...Where do I find Super-tech?? I lived in Girdwood (Alyeska Ski resort) outside of Anchorage for a couple of yrs...Ken

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Super-Tech is the Walmart brand :) <br /><br /><br />Bob

BigFishKen

Seaman Apprentice

My Wal-mart sells "Lubri-matic" or something like that..? It says it meets or exceeds manufactures recommendations...blah..blah is there anything to an oil being more than twice as expensive??

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

It has to do with application, BFK. If a marine store or marina sells it that automatically doubles the price, if it happens to carry the name of a prestigious engine maker, that adds another 50%. Therefore Wal-Mart Super Tech goes to $30 a gallon at the remote fish camp, or if it gets a Mercury name on it and is sold by a marine store it goes for $18.<br /><br />I haven't tried Lubri-matic, but I'll endorse Super Tech.<br /><br />Red sky at night. . . <br />JB :)

kevlar3000

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have been very pleased with the supertech brand. Much less plug fouling. :D

kevlar3000

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok JB,<br /><br />you have a 1000 posts and I have a 100 posts, how you figure we have the same rating? Is this one of those communist boards?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I don't know why our colleagues rated me five stars, Kevlar, you would have to ask them, but I suspect yours are the result of the quality of your posts.<br /><br />It's sort of like job experience. There are guys who have had twenty years of experience, and guys who have had one year of experience. . . twenty times. :rolleyes: <br /><br />Red sky at night. . . <br />JB :)

slooke

Cadet

From what I was made to understand was each manufacturer has their own unique additive for there engines. I am running an Evinrude Ficht. If I use anything but Ficht oil and have an oil failure it voids my warranty.<br />I pay $15 a gallon by brining in my own container. Its expensive, but if there is the slightest change of another brand doing damage, its worth it.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Ken ,you may have to ask one of the floor people if you don't see it. Wallmart sells TWC3 oil under thier brand name "Supertech".<br />It comes in bluegray,16oz bottles. I have found it in the automotive section, as opposed to the fishing/boating section. I dunno why, but it wasn't shelved with the rest of the 2cycle oils...Go figure!

yensid

Petty Officer 3rd Class

From what I was made to understand was each manufacturer has their own unique additive for there engines. I am running an Evinrude Ficht. If I use anything but Ficht oil and have an oil failure it voids my warranty.
<br />That might not be the case, unless they provide you the oil for free. By law in the U.S., manufacturers cannot void warranties for using alternative brands of consumables (filters, oils, etc.) that meet minimum specifications unless they will provide you that consumable for free.