Crack in lower housing

lenpilot

Cadet
I just bought an 88 offshore center console with a 200 HP Suzuki outboard (also 1988) and when I took it out on the water (for the first time tuesday) I was really pleased with the performance. I ran the boat about 70 miles, the last thirty were at 4000 rpm for about an hour. When I brought the boat home I noticed an old crack on the lower housing running parallel to the propeller shaft. It looks as though this crack had been filled with bondo or something and then painted. The bondo must have fell out while I was running the boat. I also lost the trim tab (zinc?) during the trip. I have checked the lower unit oil and do not see any water in it. The crack is in the round tubular section that is directly ahead of the prop. Looking at the corosion in the crack it appears to have been there for some time. Is this a critical problem or one that I should refill and not be overly concerned with?

Rex

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Crack in lower housing

YES VERY MUCH. IF YOU ARE LUCKY YOU MIGHT<br />GET BY. CHECK THE LOWWER UNIT EVERY TIME.

Fouled Plug

Ensign

If the internals (gears, shafts, etc.) are in nice shape, you may want to consider transferring them to a new housing. Water intrusion aside, the structural soundness of that housing is now weak. I don't know if it could be welded, but that's another possibility. Lots can be concealed beneath Bondo and rattle can spray jobs. Hope the previous owner didn't leave you any more 'surprises'! :eek:

Bluefish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

By what you have said it sounds more like a gouge on the bullet than a crack( no water mixed with oil) do you see any oil coming out, try presureizing to 5psi and ck.As for the structural soundness the bearings are suported in the front and back, only you can judge how deep it is but a weld job might be a good idea just make sure you clamp the ground on the houseing not the shaft you don't want current going thru the bearings.And try welding it with the oil in it to displace the heat and than change the oil hopefully the seals will be ok.But you say you lost the zinc, are you getting a lot of vibration ck the prop and shaft is not bent if something was hit :eek: <br />Good luck

lenpilot

Cadet

Thanks for the help guys, Somehow I lost the forum and could not find it from the front of iboats.com.<br /><br />The crack was in the bullet and did not seem to affect a critical area. I cleaned it out and closed it with jb weld. Been out 4 more times. So far so good.<br /><br />Now if I can just solve my fuel flow problems.