Suzuki Project

HPPants

Cadet
Hello all!<br /><br />I bought a project yesterday. My best friend has a 18.5 foot deep V that is a little underpowered with its Yamaha 115. We answered an add for 2 used Suzuki motors and he bought both. One is a '93 DT150 (fuel injected?) and the other is a '93 DT200. It seems that both broke the same way - the lower right piston broke.<br /><br />Now, this thing not built like a Yamaha or OMC. Its built like a motorcycle - uses a "jug" for cylinder walls. There's a coating (boron - I'm told) that makes the cylinder walls non-borable. Interesting. The 200 hasen't got a scratch on the wall. The 150's fried.<br /><br />Which brings me to my questions. Is this coincidental that they both broke the same way? Or does this happen more often? If so, why? Is there something we can do (or not do) to prevent it from happening again? Can I use a piston from the 150 in place of the broken 200? Our initial plan is to make 1 good 200 motor and keep parts for the future. The meter on the 200 shows 194 hours - good sign. Should I re-ring any of the holes?<br /><br />The guy he bought the motors from was frustrated and went to Yamaha's. My buddy got both motors (no props), one control unit with cables, and a shop manual (which we haven't really read yet - my mistake)for $400! I don't think we can go wrong.<br /><br />BTW - what is the redline for this engine? What prop works here besides Suzuki? 13" or 14"? We are going to check pawn shops but if a Yamaha V6 prop fits, I've got buddies who can loan me one to get a pitch range.<br /><br />Finally, what do you guys think about this motor? What do we need to look for? Is the oil injection reliable (flashback to OMC VRO nightmare)? We are going to drop the foot and replace the water pump impellor, inspect lower unit oil, etc.<br /><br />Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

exbern

Cadet
Re: Suzuki Project

I f you feel the need to sell one of the lower units please reply to me exbern@cox.net. I posted the previous listing to this one. <br />I believe that the engine is worth rebuilding it's not a hard job . I just completed a DT200 rebuild Bored it .020 oversize new pistons and rings agasket set and I'm done 1200$$ later of course. Now I just need a lower unit case to be complete.<br />Good luck<br />exbern

HPPants

Cadet

Update - we tore down the DT200 yesterday and the cylinder walls are definately not scarred. I'm ready to order/swap parts now. Lower unit looks good - water pump looks new.<br /><br />One conern, the broken hole was dry. No oil at all - all other holes had a film of oil on them.

exbern

Cadet

Do you want to sell one of your lower units?<br />If so are they 20" no matter if they are or not all I need is the case.<br />off either engine.<br />let me know<br />exbern@cox.net

catwoman

Cadet

EXBERN<br /><br /><br />IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR LOWER UNIT IN 20INCH OR 25INCH I BELIVE YOU COULD PROBABLY FIND IT AT JENSEN MARINE ON LONG ISLAND GIVE EM A CALL 631-226-9739 AND ASK FOR NEAL HE ALSO SELLS ALL HIS PARTS TO LOCAL MOTION :)

catwoman

Cadet

HPPANTS<br /><br />IF YOUR LOOKING FOR PARTS FOR THOSE SUZUKI'S<br />CHECK OUT JENSEN MARINE IN NEW YORK HE HAS ALOT OF PARTS AND LOWER UNITS GIVE EM A CALL 631-226-9739 ASK FOR NEAL GOOD LUCK :cool:

what200

Petty Officer 2nd Class

take a look on ebay. I know a guy that is parting out a couple zuki 6's. Might be a LU there.