The Benefits of a Freshwater Outboard !

John from Madison CT

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Just a quick note on the benefits of buying a Freshwater motor over a saltwater outboard.<br /><br />A few months back I bought a used 90hp Yamaha Outboard (1989). It came from the Great Lakes area and upon inspection I could tell that the seller was telling the truth that the motor was only run in Freshwater for its 12+ years of life.<br /><br />What worried me though was that the seller admitted that he NEVER changed the impeller (Water Pump) in the whole 12+ years. I envisioned a stuck lower unit, crankshaft etc etc. I had buyer remorse the whole 6 hour car ride home wondering "what have I done". Us Saltwater guys know that one of the reasons you change a waterpump is to keep the bolts lubbed and the crankshaft oiled up otherwise in 3+ years it can be all stuck up and possibly unuseable.<br /><br />Well, anyway, just yesterday I tried to drop the lower unit on this "Virgin" motor, thinking the whole time that the last time the water pump saw light was in 1989!<br /><br />Well, after taking the 5 required bolts out, the whole lower unit just dropped perfectly into my hands. I was amazed, no corrosion on any bolts, nothing stuck at all.<br /><br /><br />FWIW, if this was a saltwater outboard, forget it. There wouldn't be a chance for this to happen.<br /><br />When looking for a used motor, try and find a freshwater one. Remember, this advice is coming from someone who only boats in saltwater.<br /><br /><br />Regards,<br /><br />John from Madison, CT

ICEMAN

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: The Benefits of a Freshwater Outboard !

Hi John from Madison CT, As you notice below I'm in CT also. Is this the first time you got a motor from fresh water? Let me fill you in on some other areas that may or will give you a problem in the short future after using the motor in salt water, following it's being in fresh water for an extended period of time. Fresh water has different effects on a motor than saltwater. Motors used in Salt water will show problems quicker, because a salt deposit is left, pushing on various areas, and filling voids. You don't get that problem in fresh water. that's why the bolts came out easily. I hope you put stuff on the bolts when you put them back in, or next year, they won't come out. Also, I have seen fresh water engines run very well with the head gaskets leaking. Put that motor in salt water and you most likely will replace them next year, even if they are not leaking now, along with; exhaust cover gaskets, thermostats and other gaskets in the cooling system. I have seen people buy motors from a lake, it's 10 years old and looks new. One season in saltwater and it looks 100 years old. It's just the nature of the water you run the motor in.

John from Madison CT

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi Iceman,<br /><br /> Thanks for the reply. I see by your profile that you do Marine Engine work. If so, I would always like to have an Outboard mechanic added to my list of people to know. I'd travel a ways to have my engine worked on my a competent mechanic.<br /><br /> I've been a saltwater boater for sometime and have to agree with you on the effects of saltwater on motors. In fact that's what i'm used to so seeing. A freshwater motor in the condition mine is in is very surprising.<br /><br /> BTW, I have an impeller kit and thermostat kit on order for my 90hp Yamaha. Like the impeller the 12+ year old thermostat looks almost new.<br /><br />Keep in touch.<br /><br />John from Madison, CT

John from Madison CT

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Iceman,<br /><br /> If it's OK with you I'd love to have your email. I'd love to pick your brain on a Yamaha question.<br /><br />My email is: JMetaxas@aol.com<br /><br />Thanks,<br /><br />John